cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Plusnet

wols1500

Leaving Plusnet

As my fixed term has now passed I wish to leave plus net. Guess what, have spent ages on their web site I cant see how I can give notice to leave. Help !!!!   Hotel California I want to leave plus net. !!!  Someone help me please. 

8 REPLIES 8
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Leaving Plusnet

In most cases you don't need to give notice to leave, the gaining ISP will do all the legwork.

You can see Ofcom's guidance in moving ISP here.

wols1500

Hi Browni, thanks for the reply, but I should have made it clear that I am not wishing to transfer to another ISP. I just want to leave, cancel my 'phone line and internet with Plus Net. How can I do this, there does not seem to be any way of doing this on line, their 'on screen chat service' never works and I work long hours so am unable to 'phone them and wait ages.

Help anyone.

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @wols1500 found an answer here.

Evidently you raise a new ticket on your account to start the 30 day notice period. In your next post on this thread, ask the PlusNet Help Team to raise a new ticket on your account and track its progress for you. Do not delay and print a copy of your ticket complete with its reference number and date, just in case you need it. 

The 30 day notice period is usually to get the switch to your new broadband provider. However, it would be prudent for your ticket to request a very short notice period because you just want to leave PlusNet without switching to another provider

If your request and/or ticket to close your account does not happen in less than 30 days, you are then at liberty to enter your bank's online account and cancel the PlusNet Direct Debit payments, etc. You should then get a PlusNet letter explaining the cessation charge for cancelling your broadband account without switching to another provider. Typical cessation charge = £30 for residential customers (inclusive of VAT). 

Hope this helps.  Kind regards. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I’m sorry to see you’re having troubles leaving us. There’s two ways this can be done; by calling us on 0800 013 2632 or posting us a letter. There’s more information Here

Unfortunately we can’t take cancellation requests via a ticket and nor is cancelling any ongoing payment method a cancellation request. 

It’s also worth noting that there has been no cessation charge since September 2018 and the notice period we require is 14 days. 

Apologies for the inconvenience this causes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @Gandalf thank you for the additional information and the notice to exit contract link complete with postal address and the information to include in the exit letter.

@wols1500 should have been told by PlusNet that we're changing our prices on the 3rd December 2019. This is an ideal opportunity for anyone to leave. The Ofcom regulator says here that customers are allowed to exit their contract without penalty, etc. 

Advocate sending your notice to exit contract by royal mail signed for as the preferred method. This service provides an independent online record to retain in addition to the copy of your letter. (Your local library may have free broadband.)  Also take this opportunity to cancel the direct debit, etc. payments. 

Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@crimsom,

All parties affected by the change on the 3rd December were notified by email. Anyone detrimentally affected have 30 days to contact us either by phone or letter to leave and contract, and can do so without any termination charges. A detrimental price increase would only include subscription charges (broadband rental, line rental) and would only be if someone in contract was charged an increase above their originally agreed subs. Increases in add-ons aren't contracted and are not included or classed as detrimental as they can be added and removed as and when.

@wols1500 has advised his fixed term has passed" meaning they're out of contract and can leave whenever they'd like regardless or any price changes.

Also, we would not advise cancelling your payment method, because if you're due any refund - for example if your cancellation happened mid month and you overpaid - then we would have no payment method to refund any overpayment back to, meaning a cheque would have to be processed with a 14 day leadtime. 

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @JOLO thank you for the clarification. Postulate a price increase in excess of the prevailing ONS Consumer Price Index (CPI) would be detrimental, etc. The October 2019 CPI is 1.5%. The next release of CPI is 18 December 2019. 

Hello @wols1500 tolerating a 14 day delayed refund by PlusNet cheque is always preferable having cancelled the direct debit, etc. payments to exit your contract without further delay. To retain an internet presence for Email, Royal Mail Signed For confirmation, etc, check to see if your local library offers free broadband and/or WiFi. 

Hope this helps. Kind reagrds.