Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Plusnet and not before time.

FIXED
BillEvil
Hooked

Leaving Plusnet and not before time.

I have been with Plusnet a long time, goodness knows why. They overcharge for poor connections.

How can I leave this bunch without using the dratted [phone that no one ever answers? Why does an INTERNET company always insist you use old fashioned telephone calls to communicate.

Thanks to PlusNet's reliance on that criminal organisation BT Openreach I can only get a 512kbps connection that costs me over £15 a month, how this can be fair I do not know. It is unlikely that my ADSL will *ever* get a better connection that 512kbps.

As for fibre, what a joke. This time last year the date for fibre had just changed from the end of Jan 2016 to the end of June 2016. Now the date is set to end of December 2016 but no one actually believes that. The permanent "coming soon" status is beyond a joke. It would not be so bad if the cost of my line rental and Plusnet service reflected the poor quality I get from BT Openreach but I pay the same line rental as everyone else and Plusnet actually charge me MORE for having an inadequate service. This is disgusting.

To top it all Plusnet lost my domain after me trying to transfer it to 1and1. The tag given to me of "1AND1" was not recognised by Plusnet's transfer page yet I have been informed many times by 1and1 that this IS the correct tag. Despite having raised a query 10 days ago I have heard NOTHING from Plusnet about this. The support service has always been poor but now it is non-existent. Given the lack of reasponse I did try a tag on Plusnet's "valid" tags list of "1AND1-TEST" which has sent the domain into oblivion. No answer from PN about this either when details have been added to my ticket. Just in case someone at PlusNet may want to take a look - the ticket number is: 135058336.

Given the totally inadequate service I get from PlusNet/BT I am arranging to get BroadbandAnywhere via the TooWay satellite system. It may cost a bit more that Plusnet BUT I will not be paying over the odds compared to anywhere else in the UK and as I will be able to get 22mbps instead of the unusable 1/2mbps it will be worth it. What I pay to Plusnet/BT is NOT.

As for BT Openreach their lack of any progress with fibre is a disgrace and they do like to rub salt in the wounds by driving around in "Superfast Fibre" liveried vans. Even the green boxes in the towns have posters on advertising their fibre which they refuse to prove people less than 15 miles away. The permanent "coming soon" status nearly ruined my chance of a grant to get a satellite system. Thank goodness for once that due to BT's incompetance, their schedule slipped again so I could qualify ! More due to luck than any benevolence on BT's part of course.

I have been using Plusnet for many years so do not expect any extra charge to leave. I am certainly NOT going to pay a £30 charge for BT to disconnect the ADSL, I may need it again if they do ever provide fibre. After all it is BECAUSE of the inadequacy of BT's exchange and lines that I am forced to move to satellite broadband. They should be paying ME to leave given the diabolical sevice I have received over the years.

6 REPLIES 6
BillEvil
Hooked

Re: Leaving Plusnet and not before time.

Why were all the CR/.LFs removed from my above post. I did not provide the ticket number above as Plusnet website has come to a grinding halt so I could not look up the number. The sooner I am out of here the better.

In the rare case anyone at Plusnet is interested in solving my domain issue before I leave, the ticket number is 135058336. Over a week old and still "Awaiting support team answer".

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Are you ok to check? I believe I've gotten the domain issue sorted for you.

You do have terrible speed estimates, I do feel for you and anybody who lives in your area. Whilst we'd love to keep you, I have to be honest and say that your solution may be reasonable for your needs. Wishing you all the best either way.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
BillEvil
Hooked

Hi Matty,

Thanks for escalating the domain transfer problem. It appears that the domain transfer has been correctly tagged now. I have passed on this info to 1&1 who should then be able to complete the transfer - fingers crossed.

It took years even to get broadband after other areas had it. Since then it has been stuck at 512kbps with never an improvement. Annoying that less than 10 miles away fibre is unavailable yet Openreach seem incapable of laying that little extra fibre 😞

Satellite will have some latency but compared to data moving at 1/2 meg I probably won't even notice the initial delay in opening a website. So many sites use so much CSS and Javascript these days that my current connection is getting more and more unusable, so am looking forward to satellite and joining the 21st century. There is also an option to go back to fibre if it ever does become available.

Thanks for the help

Bill.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fix
No problem Bill, all the best.
Matty
BillEvil
Hooked

@MattyC

1&1 have completed the transfer, it just needs 24 hours to be functional. Thanks for the help.

I just need to sort out leaving now!

Bill

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Wonderful. Thanks for keeping me posted.