cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving PlusNet - Cessation Fee

salmon

Leaving PlusNet - Cessation Fee

Hi all, just looking for some help

So I'm planning to leave Plusnet as the offer expired and it's now too expensive.

I was looking through my account and noticed that there's an 'active' cessation fee of £30. I tried clicking on the links Plusnet's site provides to find out about this fee, but they don't take me to a relevant page and provide no information about it (to clarify, the link on my account about the fee points to a certain page, but it redirects to this unhelpful generic page https://portal.plus.net/help/my-account/ )

So I'd like to know what it is, and when it applies, as I'd like to move to another provider asap and obviously would rather not have another fee to pay.

Many thanks! 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
A1
Hooked

Re: Leaving PlusNet - Cessation Fee

salmon

Thank you for the link.

So I'm guessing (until I can find out something from Plusnet, who are trying to conceal this information) that moving to any network other than BT will in most instances result in a £30 fee.

Lovely.

I see here that someone successfully fought off the punitive fee https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?448117-Plusnet-unfair-Cessation-Charge-af...

I guess it's one course of action. I have quite a lot of followers on Twitter so might be able to apply some pressure there.

I certainly won't ever come back to Plusnet/BT again after this. It's all very well saying fees are there hidden somewhere in the terms and conditions, but it's a very underhand way of treating customers. If they're like me, it will put them off ever considering that company again, so it's ultimately very short-sighted.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@salmon wrote:

So I'd like to know what it is, and when it applies, as I'd like to move to another provider asap and obviously would rather not have another fee to pay.

The fee is payable in 2 circumstances

1. If you cancel the Plusnet services so you end up with no broadband/phone.
  2. If you switch to another ISP who does not use the BT Wholesale equipment in the exchange, that is ISPs who have their own exchange equipment (known as LLU). Examples are Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone

The fee is the cost of BT Openreach disconnecting your line from the BT Wholesale equipment.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @salmon, the £30 cease fee is actually no longer applicable, so please just disregard it. 

If you did want to discuss a new deal going forward, you can call our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. They are open Monday - Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-7pm & Sunday 9am-6pm.

Sorry for any confusion.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team