cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Broadband, Can I keep my home phone contract?

BananaRacer
Hooked

Leaving Broadband, Can I keep my home phone contract?

Hey everyone,

I've been offered a spot with a rural gigabit BB initiative, which only uses VoIP for telephone calls, so I'd like to keep my Plusnet phone line contract running, but cancel my BB. Does anyone know if this is possible or will I have to move my landline over to BT?

TIA for any help.

Best regards, Andy

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Leaving Broadband, Can I keep my home phone contract?

@BananaRacer Simple answer - yes you will have to move your land-line, Plusnet do not do phone-only  contracts.

John
BananaRacer
Hooked

Thanks, I did wonder. BT it will have to be then, Thanks for your help.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

From reading your OP @BananaRacer I can't decide whether you have an aversion to using VoIP, but if not, and you want to retain your number, you could port it to a VoIP company and do away with the physical landline, thus saving on line rental and possibly getting cheaper calls into the bargain.

e.g. Port it to Sipgate for a one-off fee of (ISTR) about £30, then no ongoing monthly charges for hosting your number.  You'll then have a choice of VoIP companies for outgoing calls if you don't like Sipgate rates, using your 'landline' number as CLI to receive calls on the Sipgate 'line'.

Your landline, if moved to BT, will be changed to 'VoIP' sooner or later anyway when you're moved to their DV (Digital Voice) service as the PSTN is due to be closed down before the end of 2025.

BananaRacer
Hooked

Hi, I'm more than happy with VoIP, though my wife less so, though she doesn't really get what it is. She's not techie, but has two things she loves about the current setup:

1/ Top of her list, the handsets we use have hoop-jumping call filtering built in; an absolute positive for night workers plagued by spam calls. I guess there might be some form of VoIP to old world phone converters available, but I've not looked. She can just about get by blocking a number or using the phone book on it, but not she's not a fan of learning new systems. I have far too many gadgets and hobbies, so it's difficult to argue for a small cost saving here 🙄

2/ We still have a backup analog phone that works during power cuts, of which we have many (rural). Her parents are quite old and she likes the idea she has contact with them. Obvs we have mobiles, but, Rural and good signal are mutually exclusive, so they use wifi calling most of the time.

I'd heard little about the VoIP switch over from BT, not sure if this extends to Plusnet too, but I'd assume so. This will be a nightmare if everyone needs to get new handsets. Fine if you've just got a simple one but if you've one of the many complex, multi-handset systems, an expensive swap over.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I guess there might be some form of VoIP to old world phone converters available, but I've not looked

There ceratinly are , for example  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandstream-HT-812-2FXS-Gateway-Black/dp/B01M2ZJQAF/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1YX3PDM...

As regards backup in event of power failure, when the PSTN switcoff happens by 2025 everything will be voip with no backup. If you need backup then it will need a small UPS to power the router and phone etc

Port it to Sipgate for a one-off fee of (ISTR) about £30, then no ongoing monthly charges for hosting your number.

I can confirm it is £30 and no ongoing charges, I ported my number back in May this year. You can actually have 2 numbers, an initial one when you open the account and then your ported number is added to the account and doesnt replace the original one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
The newest BT and Plusnet routers have a telephone socket which a landline type telephone can be plugged into.
The router then takes care of the VOIP seemlessly once "digital voice" (BT retails name for VOIP) is active
Openreach will be switching off the old landline phone network by 2025, it will all move to VOIP.
One fix to keep to keep VOIP and the internet operational during a power cut would be battery backed up power supply.
FTTC cabinets have batteries that last a few hours and FTTP does not require power between the exchange and the house.
Regards
Richard
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@BananaRacer 

As mnetioned, PlusNet don't do phone only - you must take the package.

You don't say who the rural ISP  - this might matter in how your new broadband is supplied. If they don't use OpenReach then you could get the new BB up and running and then "port" your number to your chosen VOIP provider. This would have the effect of cancelling your current line and internet service and leave you with any early termination fees applicable.

Brian

BananaRacer
Hooked

Thanks for the info.
I don't have much info on the new router I'll get, other than it's fttp, 500mbps/u&d and supports VOIP. Oh and very low contention ratio (5-10). Once I get it I may find it also has an analog phone socket on it.
BananaRacer
Hooked

They are offering to not charge until old contract runs out, which is good. They will let me port my number to them for VOIP too. I guess I can take if up later if I like. I thought nke it was a fiver for the VOIP service,not sure about hidden charges tho.
The company is Quantum
bmc
Hero

@BananaRacer 

Never heard of them so can't comment about them. Did find the following for anyone else interested.

https://www.quantumbroadband.co.uk/

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/11/quantum-fibre-builds-fttp-to-first-5000-lincolnshire-p...

I suspect the free service until end of contract is about the Government Gigabyte Voucher - they don't get paid until the service is live.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

They will let me port my number to them for VOIP too. I guess I can take if up later if I like.

@BananaRacer note that the number being ported MUST be active at the time. So you must port it berforeyour current service is cancelled. The port will cease the landline and associated broadband ( because there's no no landline )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@BananaRacer

Given it appears Quantum will be running fibre to your property it's possible you could keep your current service running alongside your new FTTP line. Then, when you get to the last month of your current deal you ask Quantum to "port" your phone number to them which will then shut down your current service.

You need to speak to Quantum to find out exactly they do things.

Brian

BananaRacer
Hooked

Thanks, just what I was thinking. TBH my contract runs out end Dec. Quantum have just told me they've finished their stage 1 work and ready to plan my connection. Not quite sure how long that will take so leave my plus account until it's up and running.
bmc
Hero

@BananaRacer 

I believe that if you don't re-contract you'll go onto a standard 30 day contract. Not sure of the cost.

From the Quantum FAQ I found

"The Easy Switch promise offers you up to 12 months credit so that you won't be paying for both services even if you have to see out your contract with your existing supplier. You can even keep both services simultaneously and see how much better we really are!

All we need is to see proof of your current costs and the end date of your current contract."

So you could keep your current service running as previously mentioned and then move your phone number when you're happy.

Brian