Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large charge for changing name on account

Sarahmurray2808
Dabbler

Large charge for changing name on account

Hello,

I have been a loyal Plusnet customer for years, without having to contact you for any reason. After my long term relationship ending I had to make a number of calls to try and change the account to my name and ended up having to cancel the old account and start a new one. I have now discovered that I have been charged an extra £49.99 on top of the usual monthly fee for this process. Having called to ask why, I have been told I don’t have authority to talk about the old account, which I was given authority to cancel... and that the extra charge is correct.
This seems morally unacceptable and offers no loyalty to long term customers. I am incredibly disappointed at this system and the service I have received. I wish I had gone with a different provider, but am told I now have to stay with you for a year.
Are all of these fees totally necessary?
Thank you,
S
13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Large charge for changing name on account

So if you now have a new account did Plusnet give you all the discounts they offer for new subscribers or have they stitched you up both ways?

By the way, Plusnet policy seems to be that when it comes to financial benefits, loyal customers can be ignored, the special deals go to new customers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Sarahmurray2808
Dabbler

I’m not sure, I was told it would all remain exactly the same and just wanted to get it done. So have probably been completely taken advantage of for trusting the person on the phone.
Really disappointing.
S
Baldrick1

I would make a formal complaint. New customers are being given £50 cashback whilst you are being charged £50, not good!

Moderator and Customer

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Moved to appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Sarahmurray2808
Dabbler

Good advice, Thank you Baldrick1. Do you have any idea if they usually respond to comments on here? Or is it worth writing to them properly? Tried calling to discuss which was totally useless.
Thanks,
S
Baldrick1

Plusnet staffers do come along and if they pick up your post he or she will do their best to resolve issues. However this can be a bit hit and miss.

A thought I have had: I assume that your ex had set up the account originally. Is there any chance that this had been recontracted in the recent past and was still part way through a fixed term contract? If so Plusnet might take the line that they have 'generously' done this rather than apply cancellation charges.

See here if you wish to make a complaint: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

Moderator and Customer

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seems to me that plusnet have agreed that the old account has nothing to do with you. That would of course include any charges. And has Baldrick1 has said that makes yours a brand spanking new account. So what happened to all the new account benefits?

Plusnet can't have it both ways. Looks like you have been bamboozled and deliberately taken advantage of.

Sarahmurray2808
Dabbler

Thank you both, I have completed a form to try and get a response from Plusnet, so will hopefully get some clarity from them in writing.

S

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to the community forums @Sarahmurray2808

I'll take a look at your ticket now and update it soon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sarahmurray2808
Dabbler

Thank you Anoush, I have just accidentally closed the ticket instead of replying (Question #166209544), can you please reopen it? Thank you for agreeing to refund the £25 activation fee, can you please let me know why some 'new' customers are offered £50 discounts and I was only given £8.99 discount?

Thanks,

S

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

can you please let me know why some 'new' customers are offered £50 discounts and I was only given £8.99 discount?

We'd never offer a £50 monthly discount. Are you referring to cashback?

If so, it's likely to be the new customer offer we've had on at the time. Our offers do change periodically.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sarahmurray2808
Dabbler

Hi Anoush, I was told about the £50 discount for new customers by another customer on this thread. Can you please also reopen my ticket (Question #166209544) and respond to my queries?

Thank you,

S

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I was told about the £50 discount for new customers by another customer on this thread.

Was cashback discussed during your sales call?

Can you please also reopen my ticket (Question #166209544)

I've already done that. Smiley

and respond to my queries?

We'll pick the ticket up soon.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet