Keyworker disconnected in error

FIXED
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Keyworker disconnected in error

Thank you for your reply @CustDaughter,

I'm sorry to hear that it only worked for a moment after trying these steps. It does sound like the issue was very close to being resolved. I'd recommend that she resets the router via the pinhole on the back and then tries the steps again. I completely understand her not wanting to speak to us at the moment due to the issues that have occurred. The offer of a call still stands if she changes her mind.

My colleague, Alice, has ownership of this complaint and will follow up once the connection is back up and running. However, I completely understand if you wish to raise this back via the CEO route.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
CustDaughter
Dabbler

Hi. After trying to sort this out for her, we have:

1) Reset the router as suggested, and tried the routers setting as suggested (again "no need to do anything you're already connected").

2) A traceroute (tracert google.com) ends after 1 hop, so this may be cached

3) Ping google.com also failed

4) We updated DNS settings to Google's (8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4) - this failed to have an impact

5) We tried on 2+ devices, including "forgetting" the wireless network and rejoining - no impact

Still unusable internet. It is connecting, but webpages are not working and are failing to load. Google results are loading, but clicking any of the results in Google fail to load. We tried to run a speed test, but she can't even load the speed test website to do this. 

Can you tell me what speed she should be getting? It seems like this is working, but it may be the speed (or crippling lack of) that is holding it back.

Thank you. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @CustDaughter,

Thank you for getting back in touch, I'm sorry it's still not working correctly. Having tested the line, it's still trying to connect to setup@plusdsl.net rather than on the account username@plusdsl.net which'll be why it's not loading things correctly.

It's odd that you're getting a message saying "no need to do anything, you're already connected" when trying to update the details in the router. So that we can investigate this further, please can you confirm at which stage this message comes up. Does it allow the broadband username and password to be entered first?

The estimated speed for this line is 30-40mbps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
CustDaughter
Dabbler

Hi

Thanks for the reply. She is able to log in as admin to the router, but after that any further amendments are blocked by the message saying the internet is already connected.

Thank you. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@EmilyD 

Thank you for getting back in touch, I'm sorry it's still not working correctly. Having tested the line, it's still trying to connect to setup@plusdsl.net rather than on the account username@plusdsl.net which'll be why it's not loading things correctly.

That's what I guessed.

Why isn't the router autoconfiguring though ? is the account not active OR is the router not registered to the account ?

It's odd that you're getting a message saying "no need to do anything, you're already connected" when trying to update the details in the router.

Is that what happens if you try to update the username details with it connected ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@CustDaughter 

She is able to log in as admin to the router, but after that any further amendments are blocked by the message saying the internet is already connected.

You need to click the 'Disconnect' button on the display, then it will allow you to change the username & password. The button will now have changed to 'Connect' and you click it once you have changed to the correct username.  The username will be saved so you shouldnt need to do it again ( unless the router is factory reset )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CustDaughter
Dabbler

Thank you. We are trying to do this now, but when logging into the router admin, the following error is coming before we have the chance to actually log in:

"No more than 100 sessions at a time are allowed. Please wait until open sessions expire." 

We have tried this on an incognito browser as well, and multiple refreshes - same problem. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @CustDaughter,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I would recommend turning the router off for a good minute or so and then trying again the above steps again. When you log back into the router please make sure to disconnect first and then enter the broadband username and password accordingly.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and if that doesn't work, then ...

Power off the router, unplug it  from the telephone line. Power on the router and login to the router admin by going to 192.168.1.254. Since it now can't possibly be connected to the internet , it will allow you to change the username and password. Click 'connect' and plug the router back into the telephone line.

CustDaughter
Dabbler

Hi. We've tried this, but it's still not working. She and I have no idea what to do now. We tried disconnecting the line altogether to go through the setup, setting it all up as adsl, and the settings still suggest it's defaulting to fibre. Fresh out of ideas now. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm very sorry to hear that it's still not connecting. Testing the line shows that the router is still trying to connect to setup@plusdsl.net rather than the account username. I'll update the router details on the account to see if we can get this working from that. Please can you send me the router's serial number over on a private message? This'll be printed on the sticker on the router and starts with +081. Please add another comment toi this post once you've done that so we can make sure it's picked back up.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @CustDaughter,

Thank you very much for sending us the serial number of the new router over to us on Twitter. I've updated the router details on the account now which should hopefully allow it to connect automatically. Please try a factory reset of the new router by pushing something into the pinhole on the back whilst the router is connected. Please let us know if this doesn't resolve the problem.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
CustDaughter
Dabbler

Thank you, this has finally fixed it. She has sadly found out she missed her uncle's funeral, which was broadcast online on the 1st. He died of Covid. She is devastated. Thank you for fixing the connection, I appreciate it.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thank you for getting back in touch in here. I'm pleased to hear that the connection is now back up and running. Apologies for the length of time that this took to resolve.

I'm so sorry that your mum was unable to watch the broadcast of her uncle's funeral due to this issue and for the distress that this has caused at what is already a very difficult time. 

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team