cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep BT number when transferring to Plusnet (already have ADSL)

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Keep BT number when transferring to Plusnet (already have ADSL)

Hi, my mother has Plusnet ADSL and pays BT for the landline phone calls. She wants to reduce costs and asked for my opinion as I'm also with Plusnet (fibre only)

She's happy with her Plusnet ADSL (a light internet user) - if she moves her BT landline over to Plusnet will there be any disruption to her phone and ADSL and will her number change?

I appreciate there might be some downtime to the service when it swaps provider but realistically what do people experience when doing this?

If she logs into her Plusnet account and goes through upgrade options I imagine her price will be listed there or is it better to speak to sales for perhaps a better deal?

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Keep BT number when transferring to Plusnet (already have ADSL)

I had no disruption when my line moved from BT to PN.

You may want to consider when ADSL is up for renewal, as she'd be able to ask for

a better bundled price at that time Smiley

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I didn't have any problems moving mine but when I moved my mothers she was given a different number even tho' I said it was important that at the age of 90 and with dementia she kept the same one . I rang PN as soon as I was knew there was going to be a new number and they managed to retrieve it for her.

orby
Rising Star

Hi and thanks for the responses, it seems she may have just renewed her BT line saver deal for another 12 months (you know, where they 'give' you caller ID and privacy for 'free' when you commit to another 12 months) so it might have to wait a while and she's happy with Plusnet ADSL so can't see much point changing to combine BT line and adsl as costs are probably much the same as she somehow has a £7 monthly ADSL low usage contract with Plusnet.

I've asked her to check her BT account and commitments and then once we know if she is in a contract with BT then we'll look at how best to proceed, if at all for the time being.

She's had Plusnet ADSL for some years so don't suppose there's any minimum contract remaining there. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

We should be able to keep her telephone number and there shouldn't be much downtime (if any) on the day.

Also, it sounds like she's not on an Unlimited broadband package, so it's very unlikely she'll be within a contract period (As we stopped recontracting limited usage packages for residential customers a while ago).

Calling Customer Options on 0800 013 2632 is the best way to get a good deal for phone and broadband, although we'll have to move her account to Unlimited broadband during the process.

Alternatively, if she puts the product change through online, she should be able to remain on the legacy package with her broadband service (Assuming I'm right and she is on a legacy package).

Please feel free to PM me her username if she decides to go ahead and I'll be happy to keep an eye on things from this side.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
orby
Rising Star

Hi Gandalf, thanks for your helpful answer, I don't know her username off top of my head so will ask her. She is on a legacy product I think as it's the package where she can pay £5 for extra 5Gb if I recall.

Many thanks for all replies!