cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just wondering why I have been charged a penny today?

Deafman196823
Grafter

Just wondering why I have been charged a penny today?

I have been charged a penny today after I had updated my Card details yesterday.  I want to know why they did that?  I am hearing impaired and I do not make or take calls.

14 REPLIES 14
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Just wondering why I have been charged a penny today?

Good morning,

I think they take a small amount to check the details you have entered are correct for the new card

PayPal do the same but take one pound 

They should refund the money later

Hope this helps and don't worry it's normal practice 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Deafman196823
Grafter

but it does not give them the right to take my money from my account without letting me know!!!

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Deafman196823 

If the reason @Smith7 has suggested is correct, surely it's better to have the information you've submitted tested by charging a penny to your account, then refunding it if successful, rather than risk a failed monthly payment further down the line which would be a far more stressful? Undecided

Deafman196823
Grafter

then the world is going against a hearing impaired guy!! I detest them all for going against me!!!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps text edited as per Forum rules.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

A penny?

That's outrageous. I'd write to my MP if I was you. 

😂

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Deafman196823 wrote:

then the world is going against a hearing impaired guy!!  I DETEST THEM ALL FOR GOING AGAINST ME!!!

Don't understand ?

I defiantly are going against you I was just trying to help

The charge is no doubt done automatically and applied to everyone not just you   

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Accounts are sometimes charged 1 penny to verify the details provided, I'm pretty sure other companies do the same thing, like PayPal which has already been mentioned here. I've liaised with some of my colleagues about this and have bee informed that the penny will remain in a pending status before being refunded. 

If you don't get your penny refund within the next 10 working days, let me know and I'll be happy to process it manually. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Deafman196823
Grafter

I had a lot going and I had ordered a few goods but some of them are from China which is not good as I don't have the patience for it as I don't like being misled with goods from another country when it was advertised in the UK. I am hearing impaired and I don't like waiting for my goods.  I feel it is unfair for me to wait longer than a week for my goods.

Minivanman
Legend

@Deafman196823 

If you give me your address I'll post a penny off to you (I think they still make 'em) - but I'll have to charge you many more pennies for that stamp if you want it in less than a week. No stamp and the PO will charge you nearly double to have the package redelivered. The good news is that you can pay them online.

It's tough out there. 😉 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

I understand you're unhappy with the time scales in order to have refunds processed, though this time scale is widespread across the UK, I'd also like to stress the word within on my previous post, so it could be issued sooner. 

Given the amount though, I've just credited it onto your account. Your next bill will be 1p less than the usual amount. 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Oh my goodness!!!

The 1p has not actually been taken - it should be a provisional credit card transaction which will just lapse within 10 days if not acted upon (processed by the merchant).

Besides which, it does not actually come out of your pocket until the next monthly credit card bill is raised.

You've probably spent more than 1p in extra electricity posting about it.

... and nothing here has anything to do with your hearing impairment.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend

@Townman 

Well "Is it cos I is deaf" is another new one on me. 😂

Herman Melville
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@adam945 

Surely Plusnet should be giving a year's free service to this unfortunate customer to compensate for the stress to which he has been subjected? Being of Scottish ancestry I totally understand the worry of having this amount outstanding. As my grandfather said in an Edinburgh public convenience:

Here I sit, broken-hearted.

Spent a penny ... and only --rted.