Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just cancled £30 charge?

Dwivvc
Grafter

Just cancled £30 charge?

I just left plusnet and was charged a £30 fee
Looking at your information on the charge I don't think i was applicable as I was on unlimited that wasn't on a contract
Cessation charges don't apply if:
  You use a MAC key to switch to another provider (this is called a migration)
    You're a customer without a contract on any of the following products:
        Plusnet Essentials
        Unlimited
        Unlimited Fibre
        Unlimited Fibre Extra

Who do I contact for a refund?
21 REPLIES 21
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Just cancled £30 charge?

Have you transferred to another provider or have you just cancelled  ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dwivvc
Grafter

I just canceled
AlexD
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Dwivvc
Thanks for getting in touch.
The cessation fee is not applied when an account is initially signed up without a contract. You pay an activation fee as well as an extra monthly subscription cost which covers the cessation fee.
As your account was signed up with a contract, you received the cheaper subscription package as well as free activation.
In this instance, the cessation fee would be applicable and a refund wouldn't be given.
I hope I have been able to provide some clarity on this for you. Please let me know if you've any further queries about this.
Alex Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
Dwivvc
Grafter

Looking over my billing history I didn't receive free activation tho
and When i signed up 2010 I wasn't under a contract
ADSL Initial Subscription - - £11.49
1 ADSL Setup Fee - - £25.00
1 Thomson 1-port Wired Router Bundle - - £20.00
1 Postage and Packaging Cost
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I think there's some confusion here between 'Activation fee' and 'cessation' fee. As far as I'm aware the cessation fee is not related to whether you're in a contract ( there may be additional termination charges if in contract ) or not. It is purely a fee charged ( by BT Wholesale ) when a broadband connection is 'ceased' rather than transferred to a new provider.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlexD
Rising Star

Hi Dwivvc
I'm just trying to find your archived tickets just to double check. Sorry about this.
I'll update you shortly.
Alex
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
AlexD
Rising Star

Hi Dwivvic
Right, I've got to the bottom of it. Sorry it's taken a while.
This is a very old product and from what I can gather, no cancellation fees should have been applied.
I'll ensure that the cessation fee that was incorrectly taken is refunded for you.
Sorry about this hiccup.
Many thanks
Alex
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Cessation charges don't apply if:
  You use a MAC key to switch to another provider (this is called a migration)
    You're a customer without a contract on any of the following products:
        Plusnet Essentials
        Unlimited
        Unlimited Fibre
        Unlimited Fibre Extra

Quote from: alexdevine

The cessation fee is not applied when an account is initially signed up without a contract. You pay an activation fee as well as an extra monthly subscription cost which covers the cessation fee.

Quote from: alexdevine

This is a very old product and from what I can gather, no cancellation fees should have been applied.
I'll ensure that the cessation fee that was incorrectly taken is refunded for you.

Apologies for hijacking the thread but this sounds similar to my situation, although I haven't actually been charged the cessation fee because I haven't cancelled (and am not considering doing so).
When I first joined PN for ADSL back in 2002 I paid an  Activation Fee, which was increased from the normal level to avoid having a contract (other than the rolling 1 month/30 days notice obligation).  Checking my account details shows that I paid £70.50 for the priviledge, yet I still have a 'Cessation Charge' of £30 showing.
My present account type is also non-contracted so why would I be charged £30 if I cancelled?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Wasn't the introduction of the cancellation fee applied to all existing customers at the time with the standard condition that because it was a detrimental change you could cancel for free within a certain period?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In 2008 all customers received this email
I don't know about when the £5,75 was added but I also paid the activation fee
This email is to let you know about a recent update in relation to your terms and conditions.
We currently charge £5.75 for a ‘cease’ of your broadband. From 29th October 2008 this will be increased to £20.  This is because our supplier, BT Wholesale, has increased the cancellation charge which applies if you stop or ‘cease’ your broadband service.
This may mean you'd get charged if you cancelled your broadband service with us. Examples of where the charge is payable can include moving house, or changing supplier.
Please note: this fee will NOT apply if you migrate to another provider using a MAC key - only if you decide to cease your service altogether.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

[quote=http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html]53. If we have made a change which is to your material disadvantage then if you decide to end our agreement with us early then, you will not have to pay a charge for doing so unless there are any charges or payments we have deferred or the Price guide says otherwise. However, once we have told you about such a change, you must let us know within 30 days of us notifying you of the change if you want to end the agreement by giving us notice in accordance with paragraph 46. Only the services that are directly affected by the changes we make can be ended without paying an early termination charge for that service and this agreement will continue to apply to any other services that are not affected by those changes.
The cancellation charge is therefore payable by all users who didn't take up the option to cancel in 2008!
When was the specific "no contract" option introduced? I thought it was later than 2010.
AlexD
Rising Star

Hi RobPN
I can see you signed up about 12 years ago. As OldJim has pointed out, you should have received some correspondence in 2008.
Please find more information <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml">here</a>
Thanks
Alex Smiley
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

what about Dwivvc where you said he wasn't supposed to be charged
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Dwivvc
and When i signed up 2010 I wasn't under a contract

Looking through http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/index.shtml I don't think there were any no contract packages in 2010.