cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Essentials product contracted or not?

MrT
Grafter

Is my Essentials product contracted or not?

I switched to "Plusnet Essentials (Contracted)" back in May 2013.
My current product is shown as "Plusnet Essentials with included 10GB bandwidth" in my Account Summary.
Does that mean that I am no longer contracted? What does mean in terms of a cancellation period?  Undecided
8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Is my Essentials product contracted or not?

This recent topic addressed a similar question http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129152.0.html
MrT
Grafter

@RR,
Thanks for that info. I had checked my Account Summary but had misread the information. I should have gone to Specsavers  Roll_eyes
I can see now that against 14/05/13 Essentials it shows £0.00 (Upon Cancellation) Expired.
If I move to Virgin Media, I can move without a MAC key so would have to pay the £30 cessation charge to PN. Just a thought, if I request a MAC key but never use it will I still be liable for a cessation charge? I guess the answer might be yes!  Sad
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If you request a MAC key but never use it then you remain a client of Plusnet.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Assuming you would be moving to a cable service your BT line service would be terminated. So unfortunately there is no escape from paying the cessation charge (unless you want to retain it as backup  Cheesy ).
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

In areas where Virgin does not have cable they offer a landline based service.  If you moved your landline phone and broadband to Virgin and then switched your broadband to Virgin Cable then you would pay the cessation charge to Virgin and they might be prepared to waive it.  But that is pure speculation on my part - I have never heard of this happening.
MrT
Grafter

I'm in a Virgin cable area. The speed they offer cannot be matched by BT/PN as my cabinet is too far away. My next door neighbour gets a speed of 8Mbps from PN Fibre so my speed would likely be similar. This is double my ADSL2 speed but still not much use for iPlayer, etc.
My LRS is due for renewal in just over 1 month from now so I have a major decision to make!  Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: MrT
8Mbps from PN Fibre ... is double my ADSL2 speed but still not much use for iPlayer, etc.

8Mbps is absolutely fine for iPlayer, indeed I have found 4Mbps to be fine also.  Of course that assumes only one person using it at a time.  If you achieve 4Mbps that would imply you are about 53dB from your telephone exchange, which should equate to over 4 km in cable length. 
8Mbps on FTTC seems very low; how far away from your cabinet are you?   
MrT
Grafter

The exchange is indeed about 4km from home. The cabinet is about 1km as the crow flies but I have no idea of the actual cable route.
My iPlayer is connected via wireless to my router. Perhaps I should try a wired connection via Power Adaptors.