cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my DD set up?

Sadie
Grafter

Is my DD set up?

I recently changed banks and had my direct debits transferred to my new bank.  According to my new bank, my DD with PN is set up. 
However, my account details online are saying that it isn't yet completed and I'll be charged £1.50 to pay by CC.  NOT happy!
I tried to telephone the billing department but after 9 mins of listening to disjointed 'music' have come here to get this sorted out please.. (Somebody from PN really ought to spend 10 mins listening to this ghastly noise if they wonder why their customers get so frustrated about holding on.  It's not the wait, it's what we have to put up with whilst we're waiting!)
When I checked last week on the telephone I was told that if my DD didn't go through from my new bank, not to worry they'd add it on to new month.  So please can somebody have a look into this as a matter of urgency - my payment is due on Monday.
Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13
peter10
Grafter

Re: Is my DD set up?

I have just changed banks and they dealt with transferring my direct debits. Plusnet seemed to be the slowest.  I received an email from PN saying " Your Direct Debit has been submitted to your bank, pending activation" on July 16th and on the 24th of July this appeared in my questions "Direct Debit Instruction xxxxx set to Active as part of daily Direct Debit processing". My payment is due in a few days so I will see how it goes. Hope your DD is set up in time.
Sadie
Grafter

Yes, so do I.  When I spoke to billing I can remember being told specifically that I could make a one-off payment - no mention of a £1.50 charge if they took that payment from my credit card.  If I had known that I would have made a one-off payment there and then via my debit card.  I have just checked my bank acount online and it plainly shows the PN DD with a reference number.
Whenever I have had a problem or not been sure of anything the support team at PN have been brilliant.  PN's strong selling point and the reason it keeps many of its customers is the UK-based support team so I hope they are not going to let me down over this.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The staff may not respond in the forum until Monday.
It does seem to take a while for bank notifications to work their way onto Plusnet's systems. However should it be necessary to pay by card, in these circumstances I wouldn't expect the card fee to be charged; if it was almost certainly it would be refunded. So no need to worry.
David
materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Sadie
I recently changed banks and had my direct debits transferred to my new bank.  According to my new bank, my DD with PN is set up.  

I am about to be migrated to PN. But a few months back I also changed banks and changed the DD with my present provider on their site. When I refreshed the page the details as before remained. I called to check and the change had been made on their system, and a few days later the DD appeared in the new bank's list (with a different reference to the old one which seemed reasonable) and disappeared from the old bank's list. It was about 2 weeks before the ISPs site showed correctly. That may or may not be useful as a comparison!
BTW I opted to pay the initial payment by DD so PN don't have my card details. Should they or does it complicate matters?
Quote from: spraxyt

It does seem to take a while for bank notifications to work their way onto Plusnet's systems.

I don't know whether payments are slow with PN or not as the DD for my account here shows on my bank's list with the same reference. The PN account shows the payment as having been raised on 31/7/13 (had email too then) but is still pending with two banking days for it to work. Would have expected a DD to be immediate.
peter10
Grafter

Had a letter today from my new bank saying that PN had not updated their records for my account PN******-1. However a DD for PN is showing  with the same reference number except it ends -2 which I guess means the second DD. This corresponds with the number in my accounts section of PN so I have no reason to suppose there will be any problems. It looks like PN have set up a second new DD while all the other firms kept the same reference number on transfer possibly making things speedier and easier. The original DD ending -1 with my old bank is still showing as active.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm just going thru the same process - as above the DD appears to be set up on the new bank-a DD is still set up on the old bank acc. but everytime I log in to the Plusnet Member Centre I get taken first to the warning page re £1.50 monthly charge on my card, and the info on the DD is that its still " being set up". My DD normally leaves my bank on the 10th so hopefully I don't find that Plusnet have used the debit card instead of DD.
If they do, I shall certainly argue for a refund of any "penalty" charge due to their inefficient system!!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I suspect you will get the charge, as the payment is due to be requested today and the new DD isn't yet set up. It's showing on our system as being submitted on the 30th, which doesn't leave the required 7 working days before the date of request unfortunately.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Hi Matt, the DD has been showing as set up on the new bank acc. web site since last Thursday! !- furthermore I haven't cancelled the old DD which is still active on the old bank account -so why couldn't you have taken the money from that then changed the account over -other Companies have done so earlier this month.
Seems very unfair -its not a huge amount of money but I'm being charged for the inefficiencies of YOUR system Angry
peter10
Grafter

Hi David
I would contact accounts and ask them why it took so long as in a letter from my new bank it states that -
We have sent an advice note to the direct debit companies to tell them about the change in your current account details. The companies, under the banking rules, must change their records within three days of receiving this advice note and start to claim from the new current account.
PN were by far the slowest company as they seem to set up a brand new direct debit because the reference number now ends -2 now while the old one ended -1. Luckily my direct debit with PN is set up and showing as active in both my account with PN and the bank before my next bill is due as I would have been annoyed if they had charged me £1-50 because they took a lot longer than anyone else.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

This getting beyond a joke!!!
I'm still being sent to the warning page about £1.50 surcharge for debit card - and that my DD is still not set up (...may take up to 5 working days?)
According to Matt the DD change request was received by Plusnet on 30th July, my new bank showed DD set up on 1st August  - I make that 7 working days ago from request now!!
...and to add insult to injury I WAS charged the £1.50 debit card fee!! for this month's sub Angry
In these days of electronic payments how the hell can Plusnet justify a 7 working day changeover of bank details???  Huh
Sadie
Grafter

As this is my thread - could I have a  response to my question please PN? 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sadie,
Sorry that we missed that. Your DD is now showing active from our side of things, and it looks like the current payment is being taken by DD so it also looks like it was set up in time for the request on Monday.
Hope that helps.
Sadie
Grafter

That's great - thanks Matt.