cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect market area

jjgreenwood

Incorrect market area

Hi
I'm moving from sky to plusnet - scheduled to change on the 15th. When I made the order the email receipt showed a price higher than the website, after talking to support it appears I have been charged as an incorrect market. They have requested to the market team twice to change it but I haven't had an email to confirm I will be charged correctly.
Can someone send me an email to confirm I will be charged £4.99 for 12 months for unlimited Internet and my card will be credited with the money back for the correct monthly price difference.
Thanks
Jon
12 REPLIES 12
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Incorrect market area

Good evening jjgreenwood,
Welcome to the boards Cheesy
Just checked this for you before I disappear for the night, I can confirm this has been completed for you Smiley
Regards,
Matt
jjgreenwood

Thanks Matt  Wink
pint
Aspiring Pro

How did you change the market? 
on my local exchange there exists a LLU provider (Talk Talk) and therefore BT woholesale are not the only provider, the definition of this according to offcom  is market 2.
Yet according to plusnet its market 1?Huh
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Hey pint,
I'll check your account out in the morning when I get to work Smiley
Regards,
Matt
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Morning pint,
I've checked yours and I can confirm the Market is correct as per Sam Knows.
Do you know when TalkTalk enabled at that exchange? It could be that it was after the previous reclassification.
Going based off this: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMMELBO
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Matt
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Market designations do not automatically change when a new provider arrives in the exchange. They are set by OFCOM who only carry out reviews every two or three years. Under the OFCOM rules their designation sets the minimum price BT Wholesale must charge to the ISPs. It's totally out of Plusnet's control. If you complained to OFCOM you wouldn't be the first by a long way and they seem to be totally deaf and certainly don't act in the consumers interest. Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

But do moan at OFCOM and keep moaning. I personally think it's time for the Market classification to be got rid of altogether, but there is no excuse for reviews not being done immediately an exchange changes. OFCOM need a good kick and threaten to write to your MP and the Secretary of State if they try to ignore you.
Ado16
Grafter

Quite right!
I cannot believe (well, I can actually, quite easily) How Government can bang on about the importance of getting people connected when so many are prohibited by the cost of this unfair "Market" System.  It's like Roaming Charges for mobiles - charging for fresh air!
My Parents live in SW Scotland, The Market Area that no one wants to touch.  They're stuck with BT - they can't get a 3G signal if they wanted to use a Tablet, though they can get a Mobile signal.  They could go with Plusnet - but those Market Rules means having to pay out an extra £10-12 for the privilege which cancels out any benefit! 
I can almost understand it being a bit behind the times in that area of the country - but travel 300 miles South to a stone's throw from Norwich where my Mum in Law is also in the same "Market" Area - and I wouldn't say Norfolk - albeit rural - is anything as out of the way as South West Scotland!
This deciding over who or who cannot have High Speed Broadband is pretty discriminatory really,  I can't understand why folk aren't shouting from the rooftops about it!
jim:quote
Ado16
Grafter

Sorry Moderator - been a Forum User over many years in many places and it's just out of habit.  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Don't worry - gives me something to do  Shocked
pint
Aspiring Pro

The whole market systsem is broken, things change and companies/offfcom need to move to reflect this.
I have been trying to do a bit of diging around and the last major review was some time ( years?) ago.
As a customer i feel im being short changed by the regulator ( who are supposed to protect cunsumers) lack of action
As for ISps how can they compete?
ive just done a quick price check and this is what ive discovered, plusnet vs talk talks LLU service from my local exchange ( quick search) :
Line rental ( saver packages) £9.52 talk talk, £10.49 plusnet ( legacy ) plusnet 97p more
ADSL/Broadband Talk Talk £6.50  Plusnet £19.49 per month  £16.49 for 12 month sign up plusnet £10 more
Anytime call package  Talk Talk £7.21 Plusnet £4.00 plusnet actualy cheaper on this by £3.21
Total monthly costs
Plusnet £33.98, Talk Talk £23.23 ( estimates not including any offers etc )

The big stand out figure is  talk talks £6.50 broadband vs plusnets £19.49  charge

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm in exactly the same position ...but with Sky LLU versus Plusnet on a "Market 1" exchange Sad - I'll be looking at my options when LRS deal comes up for renewal in June; looks like I could save ~ £7 pm WITHOUT any further Sky discounts by moving to Sky....I'll see what Plusnet retentions can offer at the appropriate time Wink