cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect cancellation charges shown on account ?

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Incorrect cancellation charges shown on account ?

You could argue, though, that nobody is on a £2.50/month deal, they're on a £9.99/month deal with £7.49/month discount.
You could also argue that, because the £2.50/month discounted price is only available when you pay line rental of £15.95/month, the actual monthly price (even with the discount) is £18.45 so a termination charge of £4.30 is hardly unfair on that basis.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Well the OFCOM guidance is pretty clear
A1.75 We consider that an ETC is likely to be fair where:

the terms providing for it are transparent at the point of sale with sufficient
prominence that the consumer is fully aware of the consequences of terminating
early, and what the level of the ETC would be (or the method by which this would
be calculated e.g. the amount that would be charged for each outstanding
month);

it is never greater than the amount of the (usually monthly) contractual retail
payments remaining due at the date of termination;

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

because the £2.50/month discounted price is only available when you pay line rental of £15.95/month, the actual monthly price (even with the discount) is £18.45 so a termination charge of £4.30 is hardly unfair on that basis
but there is an early termination charge for line rental as well of £5.35 but if you have paid LRS then that doesn't apply of course.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro

Quote from: MisterW
but there is an early termination charge for line rental as well of £5.35

Embarrassed I admit I hadn't noticed that  Embarrassed
Still, total termination of £9.65 for a £18.45/month discounted total isn't completely unreasonable.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It IS if you are normally paying £2.50/month.
Whilst I'm here, in for a penny , in for a pound...
According to this http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html Table 2.6 there are different ETC amounts for line rental with different call plans. Surely the call plan is not contracted, it can be changed at any time. Therefore there should ONLY be a termination charge for the basic line rental i.e £5.35.
I think PN need to get their random number generator reprogrammed...

Razorback
Grafter

But you are not paying £2.50; you are paying £9.99 with a discount of £7.49 applied. This is why it is shown separately on the bill. I would very much doubt there is any recourse to OFCOM; PlusNet’s legal team will have it covered in the T&Cs, which of course everyone takes time to read ;).
The phone termination charge is a strange one, the answer is to remove all calling plans before initating the cancellation if you decide to terminate early.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

But you are not paying £2.50; you are paying £9.99 with a discount of £7.49 applied
I don't agree, you are contracted to pay £2.50/month.
In reality, I have no intention of cancelling, I'm just playing devils advocate here and identifying the irregularities in PN's calculations in the hope that they will take some action and correct them.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The strange cancellation fees shown on matl's account have been raised as an internal problem for investigation. The other points on this thread aren't something I'll be able to answer without getting some advice from those who set and handle the fees, I'm just about to get in touch and see if they can explain these questions.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: MisterW
But you are not paying £2.50; you are paying £9.99 with a discount of £7.49 applied
I don't agree, you are contracted to pay £2.50/month.

That seems right if your discount runs the course of the contract but what about where the contract is 18 months but the discount is only for the first 12?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

w23
Pro

But nobody is actually paying just £2.50 per month (or even £9.99/month less £7.49/month)
Even on the current offer @£1.50/month the minimum a customer can be paying is £17.45 if line rental is included (OK, £14.49 equivalent if using LRS but that changes the whole early termination perspective) or £12.49/month without line rental.
Trouble is, the whole thing is skewed by Plusnet (and most others) offering ridiculously low headline discounted broadband prices that can only actually be obtained by also paying inflated line rental charges.
Having said that, you are correct in saying that Plusnet really shouldn't be charging £4.30 ETC for the part of the service that they're nominally charging £2.50 (or even £15.0) for.
So, Plusnet, either stop cross-subsidising broadband prices for marketing purposes (not likely) or change the proportionate amounts of the ETCs!
Call me 'w23'
Razorback
Grafter

The anomaly that Jim identified with the phone ETC is also crazy. I have Anytime International 300 which means that I would have to pay an ETC of £9.30 pm (plus the broadband charge), but if I cancel AI300 (which is not contracted) immediately before I were to terminate I would only have to play £5.35pm (plus the broadband charge).  Cheesy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That seems right if your discount runs the course of the contract but what about where the contract is 18 months but the discount is only for the first 12?

It really doesn't matter, as far as I can see from OFCOM's guidance the ETC can NEVER be more than the remaining contractual payments, simples!

Razorback
Grafter

On the account summary, the only cost for broadband that is shown is the full cost of the product that was agreed when the product was taken out. The discount is not shown. The amount you actually pay is not the same as the contracted cost.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The anomaly that Jim identified with the phone ETC is also crazy
Yes, sorry Jim I hadn't twigged that you had effectively brought this up earlier when I posted http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133728.msg1171751.html#msg1171751

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

On the account summary, the only cost for broadband that is shown is the full cost of the product that was agreed when the product was taken out. The discount is not shown. The amount you actually pay is not the same as the contracted cost.
I think you'll find that the contracted cost is specified both in an email and a 'ticket' on your account when the agreement is made.