cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect cancellation charges shown on account ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Incorrect cancellation charges shown on account ?

It's not urgent, but could a CRT member have a look at my account and explain the early termination charges. I have just (today) moved my phone over to PN, paid line rental in advance, and agreed a new contract for BB. My account shows an early termination charge of £82.80 which appears to be £6.90/month whereas my confirmation email says £4.30/month. The £4.30/month would appear to be the correct amount according to this http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html . So perhaps someone could explain how the differing amount is arrived at ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

36 REPLIES 36
AlexD
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Incorrect cancellation charges shown on account ?

Morning MisterW
Good question. I'm speaking to someone in billing about this for you now. Please can you PM me your username as I cannot find your account anywhere.
Many thanks
Alex Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Alex,
Thanks for picking this up. Smiley
PM sent. Although I always understood that the username was linked to the forum account. ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlexD
Rising Star

Many Thanks MisterW.
I'm not sure why it's not working but I'll be looking into that shortly.
I'm waiting for billing to get back to me about your cancellation fees now.
Thanks
Alex
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
AlexD
Rising Star

Hey MisterW
Found out what the issue is. Your total cancellation fees (should you cancel now) would be £51.60 (+ cessation fee is applicable). This is because you paid for Line Rental Saver and as such, only pay for the broadband cancellation fees.
Because the account has both phone and broadband, it's automatically added the higher cost however should you cancel, the correct fee would be manually adjusted.
I'm sorry about the confusion caused there. I hope this helps.
Many thanks
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
matl
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
It's not urgent, but could a CRT member have a look at my account and explain the early termination charges. I have just (today) moved my phone over to PN, paid line rental in advance, and agreed a new contract for BB. My account shows an early termination charge of £82.80 which appears to be £6.90/month whereas my confirmation email says £4.30/month. The £4.30/month would appear to be the correct amount according to this http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html . So perhaps someone could explain how the differing amount is arrived at ?

I'm in a similar position (moved broadband and phone to Plusnet and paid LRS) but for me the early termination charge shows as £62.70 upon cancellation. Maybe they are using a random number generator?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Your total cancellation fees (should you cancel now) would be £51.60 (+ cessation fee is applicable
Not that I have any plans to cancel, but that sounds about right Alex i.e 12 * £4.30. I still can't rationalise the original £82.80 but I'll just quit whilst it's in my favour I think... Smiley
@matl,
Maybe they are using a random number generator?
It's called the PlusNet billing system Roll_eyes

AlexD
Rising Star

Hi matl,
It will be the same issue. I promise we don't use a random number generator but I can see why you'd think that.
Let me know if I can help Smiley
@MisterW
I totalled £81.60 (£51.60 + Cessation fee) but it still didn't work out.
Sorry about this. Glad it's sorted Smiley
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It IS a random number generator then Wink . The cessation fee is shown separately on the account so it can't be that Alex. As I said, I've been with PN for a while now and have no intention of cancelling, but to a new customer these sort of things are concerning.

gofaster
Rising Star

This was reported a couple of months ago http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130844.msg1146588.html#msg1146588 and it's still broken
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@gofaster,
Thanks for that, I'd not noticed that at the time. It does beg the question as to why Alex wasn't told by billing that it was a problem currently under investigation.
Maybe Alex could find out what the current status of the problem ( 82656 ) is, since it's obviously not fixed.
@mods, Should this thread be merged with the existing one perhaps, since it's obviously the same problem ?

matl
Dabbler

Quote from: alexdevine
Hi matl,
It will be the same issue. I promise we don't use a random number generator but I can see why you'd think that.
Let me know if I can help Smiley
@MisterW
Sorry about this. Glad it's sorted Smiley

Alex
Thanks for this. However I'm now more confused.
£62.70 works out at £5.225 per month for 12 months, £5.70 per month for 11 months or £6.27 per month for 10 months. I can't see how this ties up with any of the numbers in the price guide.
If I understand the situation correctly if I cancelled (which I'm not planning to do) I would be charged:
Broadband : £4.30 per month for each remaining month of the 12 month term.
Phone : £0.00 (although I would not get a refund for the unused period of the prepayment)
Evening and weekend calls : Huh
Caller Display : Huh
A further £30.00 would be charged if broadband was treminated in the first 12 month, but not on migration to another provider or on cancellation outside of the 12 month minimum contract.
Please could you confirm my understanding and fiil in the missing items?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I can answer this one
A further £30.00 would be charged if broadband was terminated in the first 12 month, but not on migration to another provider or on cancellation outside of the 12 month minimum contract.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I have another threepennyworth to throw into the mix...
In the case where someone is on a £2.50/month deal for BB with a 12 month contract, surely any early termination charges can't be more than the remaining cost of the contract. Wouldn't that be unfair contract terms? See OFCOMs guide here http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/policy/addcharges.pdf paras A1.69 through A1.79

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't know if it is unfair but it is certainly very odd as I found out with my present retention deal
Even odder is that my cancellation charges would reduce if I took Anytime Calls off and that doesn't affect the contract as it isn't part of it