cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Usage Figures

DY

Incorrect Usage Figures

Hi Guys, I am experiencing incorrect usage figure logged by Plusnet.  They are significantly higher than what I am actually using. I have had support look at it (Ticket ID 32927894 opened on the 13th April) and they have said that from their raw data logs, there is definitely an anomaly with regards to what is being reported on the usage tracker and what actually appears to be being used.  Usage is even shown for periods when my router is actually switched off and I am not connected their network. However, since I have had this confirmation, (17th April), nothing further has been done. I have with increasing urgency, reminded support that this usage discrepancy is building up and will exceed my usage allowance before long if someone doesn’t take action, and that is now what has happened and I am down to 130kbps during peak with half of my accounting month left to go, for no fault of my own.  Support seems to be now ignoring the ticket.  Anyone any idea's what I can do?
16 REPLIES 16
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Incorrect Usage Figures

Hi DY,
I've asked about in the office and your usage has been reset for this month, that should kick in within the next two hours though you may need to reboot the router in order to get off the restricted profile. We're looking into the discrepancy for you.
DY

Matt you are an absolute hero - thanks very much for your help.  Any thoughts on what the problem could be?
DY

Not sure if anyone can/willing help, but unfortunately this discrepancy problem is still occurring.  In the five days since Matt Taylor kindly got the allowance reset, there has been 2179Mb EXTRA onto my allowance than has actually gone through my router. That is to say that combined peak and non-peak usage figures on the Plusnet page currently show a total of 4.48Gb, whereas I can only allow for 2.35Gb over the last five days - I am keeping exact figures of data through my router and logging in a spreadsheet. I am even disconnecting from Plusnet and switching off my router whenever I finish using a broadband session. Unfortunately I have heard nothing at all from support (except Matt's kind help on this forum) since the 1st May (last support ticket update).  I wonder where is this extra usage coming from, I don't understand...
defiant
Grafter

hello could you have given a router configured with your details to a friend who is also on plus.net.  I think that could log there traffic under your usage allowance.
Cheers defiant
DY

Hi defiant,
Thanks very much for your input. I can see your logic, but I have definitely not given my details to anyone (that would just be dumb) and even if someone had somehow found out my details, it wouldn't explain the usage that is occurring when my account is not actually connected to the network. I also thought the account was tied to the landline number, but may be wrong on that. To be safe, I could change my password and hopefully that should sort out that eventuality, shouldn't it? I think the initial investigations were showing some sort of discrepancy internally within Plusnet between what is being shown in the usage tracker and what is actually being used on the ellacoya.
What is nearly as worrying is how the support team has suddenly gone completely quiet on the subject and don’t appear to be updating the ticket anymore.
I welcome any further clarification on this or anymore ideas and thank you for your suggestion. 
Cheers.
artificer
Grafter

changing the password in the router is a good move.  if you have wifi switched on, but don't use it, disable it.  which router do you have?  if you login to your os, change that password too, just to be sure, to be sure.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: DY
I also thought the account was tied to the landline number, but may be wrong on that. To be safe, I could change my password and hopefully that should sort out that eventuality,

Accounts are not tied to a particular number but your username and password will only work on another landline if the broadband service is provided by PN.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do the Plusnet records show the login against land line number - if this is available it could clear up one possibility
Mand
Grafter

We can only see logins for a certain CLI/Network ID, so to be able to see the logins we need to know what the number is anyway.
I've asked our networks team to get onto your ticket straight away as 10 days is far too long to wait for a response.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Mand,
I am not sure i understand the answer.
My thought was that if someone logged in from another number using the OP's account would that show up on the system
itsme
Grafter

perhaps mand is referring to these numbers CBUK11689589 and BBIP11683713 which are my old 20CN equipment.
Mand
Grafter

Yep, itsme, they're network ID's.
You can only run a session check on a network ID (not on a username), so you'd need to know the CLI in the first place.
DY

Artificer: Plusnet account password has been changed, wifi was already switched off (don’t use it), the router is a D-Link, and only one PC is connected to it and it is through the router I am monitoring all the data throughput so shouldn’t matter if anyone else was using PC, but there is no definitely one else using it.
Mand:  Thanks so much for your help. Aaron is working on it now.
Is a CLI the same thing as the Network ID or are they different? Does it make any difference if the customer uses a line with a withheld number? So, Plusnet should be able to identify my line but how is that then associated to my broadband account?  Sorry for probably silly q’s…
Thanks again everyone so far.  lets hope Aaron can spot something.
Mand
Grafter

The CLI is your phone number. Network ID is the BT Wholesale circuit reference (usually CBUK, FTIP or BBEU).
Without knowing the CLI you can't find the CBUK, and without a CBUK you can't do the BT Wholesale tests which would show successful connections with a particular username.
FWIW, I don't think the issue here is someone else connecting as you, you'd see data transfer issues if that were the case, and your password has been changed.
Over to Aaron for now.