Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate information regarding early contract termination

FIXED
comm_muisc
Hooked

Inaccurate information regarding early contract termination

Last week in a chat session I asked for the charges for terminating my contract early - the agent gave me a figure. Based on this figure, I decided to change providers to Sky, and started the process. Today I received a letter from PlusNet stating that the termination figure relates only to my phone service, and that moving my broadband contract will result in additional charges. During my original chat session, I asked for the termination charges for my contract - at no point did I OR the agent mention which service, so I assumed that I was being told the entire figure for phone + broadband. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it reasonable to expect the agent to give me the entire cost for termination when I ask? 

12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Inaccurate information regarding early contract termination

Sorry to hear that.

Any chance you can PM me a photo of the letter?

The figures given by the agent are correct from what I can see.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Note that there is a difference between EARLY CONTRACT TERMINATION fees and the WBC connection cease fee charged by BTw if you migrate to a non WBC provider ... such as Sky.  BTw charge £30 for the privilege of disconnecting your phone line from their network and on to Sky's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

comm_muisc
Hooked

Thanks for this. I think I understand it - basically there will be an additional £30 charge simply because I am moving to a different type of phone provider... (although I'm not familiar with the terms WBC or BTw).

comm_muisc
Hooked

PM sent earlier - hope it is clear.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry - this space is full of short hand such as this...

BTOR - BT Openreach - provide and maintain all of the wires and BT exchange equipment

BTw - BT Wholesale sell services (such as voice and WBC) delivered over BTOR equipment to RETAIL Communication Providers / Internet Service Providers

WBC - Wholesale Broadband Connect - an Internet technology which delivers the broadband connection between your home and your ISP over BTOR infrastructure

ISPs such as Sky have their own equipment within the local telephone exchange.  A migration from WBC to Sky's LLU services requires physical work within the exchange which BTw charges to the loosing WBC ISP ... who pass it on to their departing customer.

The simple moral of the story is if you want to avoid an unexpected £30 charge do not migrate to Sky, Talk Talk nor Virgin Media.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tagger
Grafter

You should not be charged a cease fee if you switch to another broadband provider who uses Openreach lines.  See https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

The charge only applies if you move to a completely separate network, such as Virgin Media, who use their own cables.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Tagger your link does not work, however moving to an LLU provider such as Sky or Talk Talk can mean a £30 cease charge from BTW which PN can pass to end users.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @comm_muisc

Matt's off today, mind private messaging me a photo of the letter?

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks, @Gandalf has passed me the information on.

Based on the letter and the termination charges discussed on the account, these are the same. There is no difference between the amounts on the account and those on the letter.

Apologies for any confusion with this letter, however it doesn't state that there are further termination charges for your broadband, just that we hadn't yet received notification of your broadband moving away.

The early termination fees are those mentioned on this ticket on your account.

The only additional fee you may need to pay is the £30 cessation charge, which is separate to the early termination fees and is chargeable when a line is ceased or transferred out to a provider not on the BT network.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf,

I suggest there is a need to clarify "not on the BT network". Some take this to mean the BT "last mile wires" rather than "the BT BROADBAND network" that is WBC.

comm_muisc
Hooked

Chris, 

Thanks for this, but I am not sure I agree with your analysis.

Firstly, the letter quite clearly does say "additional charges may apply if we receive notice that your broadband service is also transferring".

I have initiated phone and broadband transfer to Sky. This letter seems to indicate that it only relates to the phone service. One of two things is happening here - 

1. This letter relates to phone and broadband services, the £47.91 early termination charge applies to both and the letter is just incredibly badly worded

2. (I suspect the most likely) - The original agent on Chat told me only about early phone termination charges (despite me not mentioning phone or broadband), then Sky have proceeded to migrate my phone service first, meaning that this letter is accurate in that Plusnet are only aware of my phone migration.

Are you certain that scenario 2 is not what's happening here? I guess I will find out when I receive the final bill from Plusnet. 

thanks

Conor

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Fix

I'm certain that your early termination charges in total are those shown on your account and in the letter (they are the same value).

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.