Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important information from PlusNet on dial-up service

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Important information from PlusNet on dial-up service

A question for staff
Is the £20 taken as a lump sum each year or as a monthly payment or is it a one off payment giving access for ever
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Oldjim, from your link
It is possible, when requesting an account cancellation, to request a downgrade to a mail only package for £20 a year instead of full account closure. This will allow continued access to email and some member centre features. This option must be requested at the time of cancellation.

I think you have answered your own question, but lets see what the PlusNet staff have to say.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Of course, "once upon a time" you could downgrade to a dial-up account for free and still maintain the email when you moved away.
I did this some years ago and still got paid for my referrals too. That worked perfectly for several years, though obviously "the rules" have changed since that time.
The email worked fine, though it wasn't even "tertiary" for me. Still does.  Smiley
Mind you, reactivating the account a year or so ago when I brought my broadband back was a total nightmare of "computer says no" but someone (they know who they are  Wink ) I think took it on as a personal challenge and made it work - lots of serious heavy machinery and non-standard processes involved I think.  Crazy
And as for the nightmare of sorting out the direct debit to pay my monthly bill (bearing in mind it was already there and working, to pay me for the referrals) the least said the better.  Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend

@midnight caller
I would agree so why was it stated that you need to have a method of payment on your account for referrals when you clearly need one to pay the £20
Wheel_nut
Grafter

From my experience in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134678.0.html and the intervention of Chris who fixed it for me, I deduced that there are TWO distinct sets of Direct Debit account details held on PlusNet's Systems.
The Payment Bank Details that you can update in the Account Details section of the Member Centre only determines where payments are taken FROM.
There is a separate location which the user doesn't have access to, which is used for Referral Payments and this data is initially synchronised with the Account Details but if, as I did, you update your Account Details, it does NOT automatically sync with the referrals data file.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Quote from: Oldjim
Is the £20 taken as a lump sum each year or as a monthly payment or is it a one off payment giving access for ever

Yes it is a annual payment. Customers who just want access to the e-mail don't have to go with this however if customers have webspace and want to continue to be able to FTP into it you'll need to change onto the mail only package.
I'll have to chase up the referrals side of things to find out how that would work as your referral tokens are added monthly but your payments would be annually.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Only just seen this. Well that's deplorable that Dial-up is being discontinued, as a BT owned company that not so long ago asked it's BT Retail Dial-up customers to move to Plusnet and one of the few remaining companies to have dial-up, it's a service BT should continue. It's a damned handy back for when the BB goes down. And as previously remarked, you used to be able to down-grade to a Dial-up account for free. Seems Plusnet are getting more like BT everyday Sad
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

For anyone wanting Dial-up access Abel Internet still do it - see the 4th section down - "Local Call Rate Dial-Up Connectivity Only"
Note: no contract required for that.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

As do Fast UK: http://www.fast.co.uk/dialup.php
Useful in an emergency as no contract is required, it's genuine "pay as you go"..
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Anotherone
Seems Plusnet are getting more like BT everyday Sad

With a BT CEO at the helm, would you expect it to be any different?
The removal of the possibility of using dial-up as a fall-back option is yet further dilution of the service / package offering which set PlusNet apart from the likes of big do-not-care about the customer conglomerates such as BT.  It all just underpins the perspective that BT saw the potential of PlusNet to be serious competition to BT Retail operations and therefore bought them up to clip their wings.  And just to ensure that there are no skunk work activities to maintain a distinctive offering, they put one of their own into the CEO chair.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Matthew
Yes it is a annual payment. Customers who just want access to the e-mail don't have to go with this however if customers have webspace and want to continue to be able to FTP into it you'll need to change onto the mail only package.
Please check this again as it completely contradicts previous statements where the email facility will be lost unless the £20 option is taken.
It used to be the case that a free downgrade to PAYG was possible but that option was removed several years ago
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

If customers want to continue to use our outgoing server and to be able to FTP their webspace they'll have no choice but to move onto the mail only package.
On the other hand if they just want it for receiving e-mail only then they can keep the account as it is.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Is that for customers on the dial up package only so that when it is removed and no further payments taken they still get email facilities or are you implying that when a "normal product" user migrates out they can retain the email addresses
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Jim,
I can confirm what Matthew has posted above as I have several UserIDs from the Dial-up days and they are all still active for RECEIVING POP email as long as I keep accessing the POP server to receive my email.
However, I cannot SEND mail from these addresses and I believe that I would have to stump up the £20 per account fee to do that. I can also confirm that my Webpages have disappeared a long time ago.
TheGodSplinter

I understand almost nothing of what I've just read. 
The problem is simple.  I have a T-Mobile, 5gB per month broadband dongle.  Currently, I access my ".btinternet.com" E Mail using it. 
Will I go on being able to do that accessing of it, using the T-Mobile dongle, after January 7th?   
I've had this E Mail account for around 10-12 years, and I shouldn't have to lose it, simply because Plusnet dump the dialup users' way of accessing their ".btinternet.com" E Mail.  Is what is about to happen that the Plusnet dialup method of getting to my E Mail account, online, is going, but my E Mail account will remain alive and accessible, by other connection methods?
Can anybody help me with a final answer to this problem?