Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important information from PlusNet on dial-up service

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Important information from PlusNet on dial-up service

Hi All
Just got an email from PlusNet, I don't know quite where to put this, so can a moderator move it to the correct board please!
Subject:  Important information from PlusNet
Your username:
Hello Mr Gary
Important information about your Plusnet Internet service 

We are making a change to the way our customers access the Internet. From 7th January 2015 you
will no longer be able to connect to the Internet in the way you normally do through your Plusnet
account as we will no longer be offering this service*. From 7th January 2015 we recommend you use
a broadband Internet connection and that you switch as soon as possible because it can take up two
weeks to activate.
How can I change my Internet access?
If you�d like to be able to access the Internet from the 7th January we would recommend upgrading
to broadband.  To check if broadband is available to you or to sign up, visit our website
www.plus.net or call us on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200.
What about other services such as my email?
If you have additional services with your Internet account, such as an email address or a website,
you will need to sign up to broadband with Plusnet Broadband to continue using these from 7th
January 2015.
Will I still be charged?
You won�t receive another bill for your current services after 5th December 2014.
Further information
If you need more information you can contact our support team on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 or
see our FAQs here http://community.plus.net/dial-faq/.
Kind regards
Paul Summers
Customer Experience Director
Plusnet plc
Tel: 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200
Registered Office:
The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street,
Sheffield, S1 2GU
Registered in England no: 3279013
*You currently access Plusnet Internet through a dial-up service. This is an old technology that
uses your phone line but which means that you are unable to make a phone call at the same time as
using the Internet. We will not longer be offering access to this service from 7th January 2015.
Call charges vary depending on who is your telephone provider. If you are unsure it is best to
contact them directly for their latest call charges. All calls to 0800 numbers are free from BT
landlines, charges may vary if you call from your mobile phone. 0345 numbers are charged at the
same rate as a landline for mobile users and are included as part of any inclusive or free
minutes.
Plusnet is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT and data may be shared within the BT Group. If you
don't want to get any more emails like this, please click
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=modifyMailOptions to unsubscribe. Please note that when you
do this, you'll no longer receive other promotional communications from the BT Group, including
special offers, details of competitions and information about new products and services.

What can I do to keep my webspace and my email account?
I can not get ADSL there is a permanent fault on the line to get it fixed I have been quoted from BT a eye watering quote of £25000.00 to £30000.00
Plus I no longer have a BT line, my phone line is from NTL / Virgin Media, plus I get my broadband from them too!
Can someone from PlusNet help please
35 REPLIES 35
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Important information from PlusNet on dial-up service

I'm surprised dal-up still exists to be honest. I thought that BT must have surely got BB out to all of the country by now.
MC have you not thought of using a plug in 3G dongle instead of a landline? As for your email, contact chris or bob pullen - i'm sure they'll be able to come to some agreement with you.
Plusnet is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT and data may be shared within the BT Group.

Plusnet may be owned by BT but as it still operates as a seperate company, sharing customer data isn't lawful. Companies are not allowed to buy and share customer details like that. If PN was bought by BT and absorbed into BT then yes thats a different matter but PN is still operating as a seperate company.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Midnight
What can I do to keep my webspace and my email account?
I believe PlusNet offer an on-going email service at a "small" price, but long-term consider moving to an ISP-independent service.
As you have webspace, is that linked to a domain? If so, how about an email related to the domain?
Finally, look at other hosting services, PN is not the most competitive. In the short term, given this is something they are forcing on you they should be "helpful" in order to have a transition at a speed that suits you, but lets see what they say.....  Wink
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: 7up
Plusnet may be owned by BT but as it still operates as a seperate company, sharing customer data isn't lawful. Companies are not allowed to buy and share customer details like that. If PN was bought by BT and absorbed into BT then yes thats a different matter but PN is still operating as a seperate company.

that would depend on the details they were sharing across the BT group, your name address and phone number would necessarily need to be shared with BT, as would any usage data because they are actually the people providing the hardware that makes that possible ........
badly worded perhaps its more a case that BT shares the info with the service provider rather than the other way round .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I'm surprised dal-up still exists to be honest.

Yes dial-up does still exist
I thought that BT must have surely got BB out to all of the country by now.

British Telecom will never have broadband out to all of the country, using conventional phone wiring, or using fiber optic cabling it is just too expensive to do!
MC have you not thought of using a plug in 3G dongle instead of a landline?

Did you not read this:
my phone line is from NTL / Virgin Media, plus I get my broadband from them too!

As for your email, contact chris or bob pullen - i'm sure they'll be able to come to some agreement with you.

I have sent a PM to Bob
Plusnet is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT and data may be shared within the BT Group.

I must admit that I missed that bit.
Quote from: HPsauce
I believe PlusNet offer an on-going email service at a "small" price, but long-term consider moving to an ISP-independent service.

I know that PlusNet offer an on-going email service, but do they offer an on-going webspace for a "small" thea?
As you have webspace, is that linked to a domain?

Yes it is linked to www.dhea.org.uk
If so, how about an email related to the domain?

99% of my email Addresses are linked to the domain www.dhea.org.uk
look at other hosting services

99% of my domains and sites are hosted by servage, but their email platform sucks, to set up a new email Address on PlusNet is easy as pie, but on servage it is a pain in the neck so to speak.
I would like to keep my domain www.dhea.org.uk with PlusNet, and keep my email account what goes back to force9 days.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

MC have you not thought of using a plug in 3G dongle instead of a landline?

Did you not read this:
my phone line is from NTL / Virgin Media, plus I get my broadband from them too!

Nope but i did read this hence i hit reply and tried to help:
I can not get ADSL there is a permanent fault on the line to get it fixed I have been quoted from BT a eye watering quote of £25000.00 to £30000.00
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PembsPanther
Grafter

I cannot offer any advice on keeping your current offerings from PN but so far as your webspace, if it were me I would transfer the domain name registration away from PN (I presume?) to another registrar, there are a number of good UK registrars such as crazy domains, 1and1 etc etc personally I have used for the best part of 10 years namecheap, they are American but very good and offer great customer service, I would expect to pay around a tenner to transfer the domain then get some decent hosting preferably with Cpanel as the control panel, cpanel is incredibly easy to use and there are tons of resources out there to teach you how to use it. Most hosts use cpanel again 1and1 are a good option for both name registration and hosting but there are a number of others, ask google for reviews on any host your are considering.
So far as email, I would set up a new account with someone like gmail and then see if PN will give you say 12 months with your old email address and setup a permanent redirect to your new gmail or other address, then add a small signature to any new email you compose or reply to announcing your new email address, this will slowly get all your contacts to update their end and as long as you always reply from your new email address it should be quite a smooth process, the pain is changing all your registered email addresses with websites this is why I advise gmail as you can have it for a lifetime for free.
HTH Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

99% of my domains and sites are hosted by servage, but their email platform sucks, to set up a new email Address on PlusNet is easy as pie, but on servage it is a pain in the neck so to speak.
I would like to keep my domain www.dhea.org.uk with PlusNet, and keep my email account what goes back to force9 days.
OK, good luck, you'll just have to wait and see how helpful PN will be knowing your, presumably unusual, situation.
I won't try to "teach my grandmother to suck eggs" as you're clearly au fait with hosting services, but they do change so maybe it's time to reappraise who you use, or split over at least 2 providers (beyond PN) for future resilience/flexibility.
My own main hosting provider was taken over recently and I started that appraisal process. Luckily the new (larger) owner not only had packages that suited my scale (a handful of domains but mostly email) and email technical requirements but also decided to continue the "legacy" services/packages indefinitely as they were consistent with their standard offerings.
So in the end I needed to do nothing, but recognised I was fortunate.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

mod:note
seemed as good a place as any.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm surprised dal-up still exists to be honest

Slightly off-topic but vast numbers of small retailers use card machines that still employ dial-up modem technology.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think I see a possible solution as memtioned by HPsauce
Downgrade the account to email which only which costs £20 per year
http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml#generalPolicies
Perhaps Plusnet can comment as to whether the webspace can be retained as well
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi guys.
I've checked this with the relevant people and I can confirm that downgrading the account to e-mail only will allow you to keep the webspace as well.
Any further questions feel free to let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Matthew Wheeler, Can you double check to make sure that I can keep my Webspace as well as my email Addresses.
If I can downgrade and keep my Webspace and my email Addresses can you sort it out for me please!
Oh one last Question will I get to keep My Referrals?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I should be able to get that arranged for you.
You'll need to have active payment details on your account.
If you PM me your username i'll get that arranged for you
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ArthurDent
Grafter

PN aren't alone in withdrawing dial-up. EE is only one other to have done so or be about to do so.
Regarding e-addresses: After a bitter experience I decided to shift to something independent of the specific ISP I happen to be using -  Gmail for personal and Outlook for business etc. Both ported across to (as it happens)  PN. yes it was a pain in the posterior at the time but well worth it for ongoing flexibility.