cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you change broadband provider before end of contract

Portishead200
Grafter

If you change broadband provider before end of contract

If you change broadband provider and it kicks in shortly before the plusnet contract ends do you get charged for that ? Would there be any kind of penalty or do you have to try and make it happen after plusnet contract expired
11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: If you change broadband provider before end of contract

Simple answer, @Portishead200 - yes, there is an early termination charge in this situation.You could ask the gaining supplier to start your service on the day your PN contract ends, or the day after.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jab1 

This sounds simple enough but in truth it depends on Openreach availability on the chosen day. So whilst the ISP might request a specific date there's no guarantee.

My thinking goes along the line that to minimise disruption you arrange the change over during the final month of the contract. As you pay in advance you have already paid for the contract up to its end date. Therefore there will be no early termination charge as the contract is paid up to completion.

Depending how these things work there might also be a small refund for the days  after you left less the termination charge for those days.

This is me thinking out loud, I have never tried it!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 That would seem to work if you want to do as the OP, but it won't work, nor do I expect it to, when you leave part way through, as I will be doing. Then it is good if you can switch exactly at the end of a billing period, and the final bill amount is simple to calculate.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jab1 

I agree that it is desirable to leave on your chosen day. The point I am trying to make is that whilst your new ISP might request a specific day it is not in their gift to guarantee it, unless of course you  are moving to a cable company with a new 'line' when you can at least get a confirmed start date for the new service. Even then it depends on technician availability as to when Openreach will pull the plug on your current connection.

The biggest risk that I can see is that there is a gap between the one service ending and the other starting. You might think differently but I would prefer an overlap resulting in messy termination charges rather than loss of service for weeks as is sometimes reported on this forum, possibly compounded with problems of telephone numbers getting lost in the gap period.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Portishead200
Grafter

Well my thinking was, my new contract deal with plusnet could be £24 - instead of currently £22 at plusnet.
I'm fed up with trying to get a deal or save a few pounds to get it back down. so thought I'd switch to TT or similar and grab a £50 voucher.
However, TT is £23 so on an 18 contract it'll cost me £18 more plus £4.95 setup so that's £22.95 extra than what I currently pay . If I [-Censored-] up the new start date and I get an early termination fee because the switchover process is inherently clunky then I lose more and it may not go smooth in any case.
Therefore what's the point. I may as well stay and try to argue the toss over a few quid
jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 I understand everything you say above, and yes there can be snags, but how many change-overs actually go without a hitch? - probably an order of magnitude more.

Whilst I appreciate engineer availability - when say switching from ADSL to FTTC - could be a problem, especially given the working practices of BT, inherited from pre-privatisation days and stubbornly clung to - for some reason, that monopoly seems reluctant to enter the 21st century.

John
jab1
Legend

@Portishead200 wrote:
Well my thinking was, my new contract deal with plusnet could be £24 - instead of currently £22 at plusnet.
I'm fed up with trying to get a deal or save a few pounds to get it back down. so thought I'd switch to TT or similar and grab a £50 voucher.
However, TT is £23 so on an 18 contract it'll cost me £18 more plus £4.95 setup so that's £22.95 extra than what I currently pay . If I [-Censored-] up the new start date and I get an early termination fee because the switchover process is inherently clunky then I lose more and it may not go smooth in any case.
Therefore what's the point. I may as well stay and try to argue the toss over a few quid

I'm surprised your price is going up instead of going down/staying steady - are you changing products?

John
Portishead200
Grafter

No,I just want to stay the same. Just line rental and fibre. If I do nothing plusnet will ramp it up to £34 anyway. Stupid

But here's another big deal. Why should I stay.... And £75 Amazon voucher !!!
£24 per month .
OFFER
TalkTalk
Online exclusive Fibre 65
67Mb
average* speed
Unlimited
downloads
month contract
£24.00 per month
£292.95 Total first year cost
£4.95 Setup costs

New customers onlyOffer Ends 06/01/21Fixed price for length of contract

jab1
Legend

@Portishead200 OK , I see your dilemma here - if it wasn't for the fact I personally wouldn't touch TT - for reasons I'm not going into - that is a very tempting offer.

John
Portishead200
Grafter

I had TT for years before. Never had a spot of bother myself ,
But it's just annoying plusnet want to ramp up the price unless you call up and fight. I have no problem with them but why should I stay. They clearly have no interest in keeping customer
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Try calling customer options on 0800 013 2632 quoting a competitor’s offer. Chances are they may match...