cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was kept being told a chargeback was received for my initial 49.99 payment

tekkamanblade

I was kept being told a chargeback was received for my initial 49.99 payment

Dear Sir/Madam,
Didn't get satisfying answers elsewhere. HELPs needed, thanks.
Please refer to [help assistant] Question no. 51909939 and Question no. 50269983.
Here's the full story:
1) paid 49.99[1] online when opened service, that's 10 Nov 2011 (using a non-UK card ending in 1011);
2) was told a chargeback was received for the 49.99[1] last Dec,
3) paid a second 49.99[2] over phone on Dec 28, 2011 (using a UK card ending in 0715);
    3.1) I paid again not because I admit a chargeback was issued for the 49.99[1], but to ensure full service not be interrupted;
4) checked with my non-UK bank and was told NO such chargeback was issued;
5) contacted PLUSNET and PLUSNET insisted a chargeback was issued on the 49.99[1];
6) left with no choice, I asked my non-UK bank to issue a chargeback on the 49.99[1] this Jan, and it's still in the process;
7) was told again a chargeback was received for the 49.99[?] around Feb 8;
     7.1) since PLUSNET said the 49.99[1] was already charged back (which I deny) last Dec, I assume this time they mean the 49.99[2] was charged back;
8.0) contacted my UK bank (NatWest), and they ensured me NO such chargeback was issued;
9) contacted PLUSNET (through question no. 51909939) and was told 'since then' I 'have charged back the payment again';
10) contacted NatWest again before calling PLUSNET, and bank found NO such chargeback;
11) just called PLUSNET, was told there's a chargeback on 49.99[?], I told the whole story and asked if there's any detail on the chargeback. Customer service didn't know (anything) and need to check;
12) while I was waiting for the answer, the phone was disconnected. I swear I didn't press any button.

My comments:
1) PLUSNET insists I have been informed incorrectly by my banks. I wonder based on what PLUSNET is so confident about its own system and accuse NatWest and my non-UK bank both incorrectly informed me.
2) I will provide evidence from NatWest if asked.
3) Since PLUSNET insists both payments were charged back. I suppose PLUSNET's bank (not PLUSNET's initial system) will record these incidences?

I just wonder if anyone can investigate this matter for me please.
I appreciate your help.

Best Regards,
Joe
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: I was kept being told a chargeback was received for my initial 49.99 payment

Hi there,
I've had a look at this and dropped a reply onto your ticket, I hope that helps.
tekkamanblade

Re: I was kept being told a chargeback was received for my initial 49.99 payment

hi matt,
thanks for the reply.
the first 49.99 payment made in Nov was paid by a mastercard (non-UK ending 1011);
the second 49.99 made in Dec was paid through visa debit (NatWest ending 0715).
Let me know if you have any suggestion.
Best Regards,
Joe
dick:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm afraid other than the suggestion I made I'm not really able to help any further, I'd recommend discussing this with our failed billing team as they have the relevant permissions to access bills etc.
Is it not possible that the chargebacks could have been issued by separate companies at all?
tekkamanblade

Is it not possible that the chargebacks could have been issued by separate companies at all?
-----------------------------------
I'm sorry I didn't get you.
You gave the information said the second payment was made on mastercard, but the second payment was through UK visa debit. So credit card vendor is not involved in this case, am i wrong?
Well, I guess I will contact them again then...
thx anyway
btw, can you confirm on the record, the second payment was made by mastercard? thx again
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Beg pardon, the first payment was made by mastercard and the second by a Visa Delta debit card.
tekkamanblade

thanks.
tekkamanblade

Your finance department gave me another speechless response.
Please refer to the new updates in ticket no. 51909930.
I just filed a complaint but seems it goes to the QUESTION system again? I had a bad feeling about it.
Just wonder anyone here is able to understand my situation and help communicate with the finance department? Thanks in advance.
i pasted the complaint below.
----------------
Your finance department has charged me twice and is trying to charge me for a third time!
For the full story, please refer to [help assistant] Question no. 51909939 and Question no. 50269983.
Basically i paid the first 49.99 (using a non-UK card ending in 1011) last Nov. Last December, you finance department told me the payment was charged back. I then paid a second 49.99 (using a UK card ending in 0715) not because I admit I charged back the first 49.99 payment but think it may be the case as my non-UK bank may act too sensitively).
Then my non-UK bank told me the first 49.99 was never charged back. However, your finance department insisted there was a chargeback. As I didn't charge any fee back, I resulted in paying twice. I then asked my non-UK bank to charge back the first 49.99 payment.
This month, your finance department told me the second 49.99 payment was charged back as well. I checked with my bank (this time it's a UK one) and they said there isn't a chargeback. Without providing any information, your finance team told me I was informed incorrectly by my bank. Then we went back and forth several times as you can see in the ticket no. 51909939.
Not till today, the finance team confirmed that they 'received a charge back of £49.99 on the 6.2.2012 from' my 'card provider for the card ending 1011'. So it's the first 49.99 payment been charged back. Yes, I asked my non-UK bank to charge back the first 49.99 payment (using card ending 1011) after paid for the second time (using card ending 0715).
So the finance department did hold the second 49.99 payment (using card ending 0715) in hand.
In the last question exchange, they seem want me to check with my non-UK bank for the 6.2.2012 chargeback. For what?
(Just to say I think the finance department's first claim of chargeback back last Nov may not be what they claimed. If the first 49.99 payment had already been charged back, the bank wouldn't be able to make another chargeback on 6.2.2012.)
They still de-activated my account, so I assume they still think I owe them the 49.99 payment.
I'm speechless. After so many emails they still didn't get it.
Please anyone look into this case for me thanks.
My account is de-activated right now. I want it be re-activated immediately.
I am not available during working time, so responding online is fine.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've added another response to the ticket, I hope it helps - in the mean time I can see that your complaint ticket is sat with our complaints team and should be picked up for you shortly.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Surely the foreign bank wouldn't allow you to claim back the same payment twice, so the fact that the 'second' time the charge back was successful rather proves that there wasn't a first time.
If you can claim back the same payment multiple times I'm retiring next week to my brand new villa in Spain!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tekkamanblade

Hi Matt,
Thank you for the reply.
I attached the relevant bank statement in ticket 51909930.
I cannot find the reference number though, not sure what it is. I now attach two emails I received after I paid the second 49.99.
Best Regards,
Joe
------------------
sorry about that, didn;t notice in the first place. now agent name is removed.
tekkamanblade

And about the chargeback on 06.02.2012 issued by my non-UK bank, I haven't confirmed with them yet (not easy to call when you have 8 hours time gap). I remember they told me the chargeback process would take as long as 3 months.
So there is chance that the second chargeback claimed by the finance department may not be so, just like the first chargeback claimed by the finance department.
Even if the second time is true, then what about first time.
jelv you are right, that the bank can not chargeback the same payment twice is a common sense, the credit card vendor simply won't allow that happen. When I let my bank charge back the first 49.99 in Jan, bank asked for the whole messages I exchanged with PLUSNET, as they need to show as provement to the credit card vendor (roughly it's this idea).
But let's not focus on the above.
the key here is I paid second time, and it's kept with PLUSNET.