cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to cancel - why do I have to call them?

FIXED
scgf
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I want to cancel - why do I have to call them?

I want to cancel my FTTC broadband and phone line. I've been trying to call this morning and each time I get a recorded message to say 'this line is now closed'. I really have no need to talk to anyone about it, why can't I cancel online?

I'm assuming there is nobody to answer my call because it's Easter Monday?

12 REPLIES 12
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: I want to cancel - why do I have to call them?

Contact Customer Options Team (aka COTS)

COTs is the place to go to if you want to find out anything to do with your contract in respect of leaving, renewing or simply enquiring about early termination charges (ETCs). They have their own number and tend to answer quicker than the general customer service number.

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)
  • Available...
    • 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    • 9am - 7pm Saturday
    • 9am - 6pm Sunday

Possibly because the service does not open until 8am?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scgf
Grafter

Thank you, but whichever number I call, after going through a great many options, I get 'Sorry, this line is now closed'. It's now 08:19. I even tried the option to join PlusNet, just to see if that works - and got the same message. They really are off-grid at the moment. Not good, to be honest. If they have decided to offer no support over Easter at least the recorded message should say that and invite a call back on Tuesday.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Fix

Try after 9, bank hol times will be the same as weekends.

scgf
Grafter

Sorted. My termination request is being processed. Thanks for your help guys,

pint
Aspiring Pro

Are you changing ISP to another one that uses openreach infrastructure? ( ie not virgin/starlink etc)

scgf
Grafter

Hi @pint. I'm moving to VM cable. Why did you ask? Would it have made a difference were I to be moving to another Openreach provider?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@scgf  Yes it would, if it was an ISP using Openreach you do not tell your current provider you are migrating away but leave it all to the gaining provider to handle. Obviously in your case as you are going to VM cancellation of your Plusnet service is required.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@scgf 

If you cancel your phone line there is a manditory 10 day period imposed by Ofcom to deter slammers. A new ISP would be unable to process any order until this period is over.

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@scgf  Yes it would, if it was an ISP using Openreach you do not tell your current provider you are migrating away but leave it all to the gaining provider to handle. Obviously in your case as you are going to VM cancellation of your Plusnet service is required.

If the user were taking their existing phone number with them, I believe that the porting of the number over to VM would (should?) cease the existing service**. IIRC it is only when VM provision a new number that the use needs to terminate their existing service themselves.

**Such would be a directly similar to the issue of porting an existing number to a VoIP provider - it would terminate the existing service provision.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Townman  You may be correct if the user is transferring their phone number to VM, the number port should cancel the Plusnet service. However I'm sure I have seen posts on the forum where Plusnet have been billing customers for months after they assumed they had left Plusnet after ordering a VM service so things don't always go as expected.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

@RealAleMadrid This can occur with all cease requests, whether it's Virgin Media or a provider on the Openreach networks. It usually stems from either a component being left active in error on our end, or the Openreach cease order not being marked as complete on either their end, or SI (Strategic Imperatives). 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds