Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've never been charged the price I signed up to

FIXED
HsB66
Fixes: 1

I've never been charged the price I signed up to

Hi I renewed with Plusnet in June 2021 and was quoted a price of £22.99. Since that time apart from the initial payment I've been charged £24.05 and this is the charge that shows in my Account. I can't find any contact from Plusnet showing my price had risen. Hope to sort it out using this forum rather than having to ring them. Thanks for any help.

8 REPLIES 8
teddysmum
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: I've never been charged the price I signed up to

Do try calling , as a lady at the call centre sorted all my overcharging/contract problems (a first for me).

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Yes, give them a call and it will be sorted out. Plusnet gives an excellent service but its accounts system is a disaster which probably annoys its hard-working staff as much as its customers.

HsB66
Fixes: 1

Fix

Thanks for both your replies. I took your advice and phoned Plusnet. Apparently I didn't notice when I signed up on 14/6/21 that the bill would rise by 3.9% on or after the 1st of June. Maybe I assumed that it would have already risen by the 14th of June. Anyway now I know and will try and be more careful to read the small print.

TooManyPies
Grafter

If you were quoted a cost of £22.99 on the 14th of June then that is what you should have been charged, not an increased cost they contrived 2 weeks earlier.  These 3.9% +RPI price increases are a con. We are being taken for mugs.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

How are they a "con"?

One can understand that no one likes price increases but given that they are very clearly pointed out during the sign-up journey, it is not deception as the word "con" infers.

If one does not read the contract terms, then indeed one is a mug for accepting an unread contract.

Ignoring the increases in income over the last 20 years, the price point of broadband has not changed that much since 2002, not even for the substantially better functionality one gets today for the same £23 paid then for ADSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobMorgan

It is a con if they advertise one price and charge you another.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

When you sign up we'd advise that we'll increase your price in line with the Consumer Price Index + 3.9% and we go into more detail here > https://www.plus.net/help/legal/cpi-plus-guide/ about that. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
happybunny
Grafter

Personally I'm struggling to get my head around this a bit.  Maybe I'm missing something.

The prices in 2021 were raised in June 2021.  Going back through my inbox, the email I had at the time didn't specify a date, only said June 2021, so I'd assume any bills that were generated after 1st June would include the increase.

The OP appears to have signed up (renewed) on 14/06/2021 at a price of £22.99 - during the month that the price has taken effect, so if they were quoted a figure of £22.99 during June then it does seem a fair assumption that this would be at a rate after the increase has been implemented?

If the renewal/signup happened prior to 1st June then I could understand a price rise taking effect during June, otherwise their price would only change at the next increaes point in 2022.