cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been charged a £30 cease fee!

Ultramesh

I've been charged a £30 cease fee!

I'm over my contract term and I've just transferred from Plusnet to Sky and I've been charged a £30 cessation or cease fee. Plusnet are telling me this is because Sky aren't on BT wholesale but I phoned Sky and they say they are on Open Reach which means they are on BT wholesale. I moved both my broadband and phone line to Sky and got a new phone number (wasn't given any choice). Can someone clarify whether I should have been charged or not please?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: I've been charged a £30 cease fee!

If you weren't given the option of retaining your number it would appear likely that rather than a migration Sky did a cease and reprovide which would create the £30 cancellation fee
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Essentially it sounds like what OJ has said.
I believe they should have migrated the services while retaining your telephone number, as this would have been migrating the services. I'm not sure why they wouldn't have given you the choice though Huh
What you have described is a 'working line takeover' which basically places a cease order with us automatically and a provide order with the new provider. If this is the case, unfortunately the cease fee would be applicable Sad
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Ultramesh

Quote from: HarryB
I believe they should have migrated the services while retaining your telephone number, as this would have been migrating the services. I'm not sure why they wouldn't have given you the choice though Huh

I signed up with Sky online and it said I had to take a new number. I wasn't all that bothered and I'd been plagued with calls from Indian fake microsoft repair people so it actually seemed like a benefit.

What you have described is a 'working line takeover' which basically places a cease order with us automatically and a provide order with the new provider. If this is the case, unfortunately the cease fee would be applicable Sad

That makes sense, from Plusnet's point of view at any rate. So it looks like my beef is with Sky and finding out why they couldn't retain my old number.
Could you just confirm though that there should be no cease charge from Plusnet when moving to Sky if I had been able to retain my number and just simply migrate - which is actually what I thought I was doing anyway?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

That's right, had it been a migration (Using a recognised migration method) there shouldn't have been a cease fee.
The information you mentioned in your first post seems along the lines of how it was when MACs were in use, as the recognised migration method would be using a MAC. MACs usually were not required when moving to Sky due to the type of equipment they use. Although Sky will still use Openreach, they generally provide on MPF lines, which is what I believe was meant by saying they aren't on BT lines.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet