cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I've been scammed

JPN
Rising Star

I think I've been scammed

I've just had a phone call which only makes sense as a scam.  It was an automated voice, stating is was Visa card security, querying a transaction in which £600 was sent to India. It asked if this was genuine to press 1 and if not press 2 to speak to a representative.  Caught slightly off guard, I pressed '2'. The call then hung up.

I assume that in some way this has resulted in a charge to my phone line? [I checked with the bank, there was no such transaction].   Is there anyway of knowing what the result of pressing the '2' was?

For reference, the number given by 1471 was 0871 9843 5337 and the call was at 10:26 this morning.

3 REPLIES 3
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: I think I've been scammed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you've received a scam call.

It's unlikely that an incoming call would be able to charge you for the call unless they reverse the charges, but I believe you'd have needed to agree to that before the call began.

It may be worth checking your "unbilled calls" Here tomorrow though. 

Moving forward to stop most sorts of scam calls like this I'd recommend adding Call Protect to your account from Here. It's free of charge and may help you out.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JPN
Rising Star

Thank you. No charge appears to have been made, so that worry is over. I have however noticed that I seem to have been billed double in one month. I shall review in more detail and start a separate post on that.