cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm thinking of leaving, already in my last month, will I have to pay an early termination fee

FIXED
sambrown2016

I'm thinking of leaving, already in my last month, will I have to pay an early termination fee

Hi all,

After being a Plusnet user for 7 years at two locations, I'm thinking it's time to move my service. I'm interested in getting a fibre connection, but the retention team cannot compete with the Sky new customer offers that come along. The prices from the retention team weren't much more than Sky (Sky is £22.50/pm over 18 months and Plusnet is £25/pm). I'd stay with Plusnet if the basic fibre wasn't restricted to 2Mbps upload. Which is a shame really. 

Anyway, my contract for broadband with Plusnet completes on June 10, which means I'm already in the last month of my 12 month contract for Broadband unlimited and will obviously be expected to pay for that whole month, but if I sign up with Sky now, will there be a an additional termination fee with Plusnet? I tried to parse the terms and conditions, which seems to indicate that the termination fee is £10.94, but I really can't tell.  I'm on the monthly line rental as I wanted to make sure I was free to leave to another provider, if it came to that. 

Having said all that, if one of the customer service reps on these boards can get me a fibre connection with more than 2Mbps upload for £25 a month, I'll stick with Plusnet (even though that's still more than I'd pay if I went with Sky)

Any help, much appreciated. 

3 REPLIES
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 67

Re: I'm thinking of leaving, already in my last month, will I have to pay an early termination fee

As Plusnet are putting up their prices and you should have, or will within the next 9 days, get an email saying so, then you are free to tell Plusnet that you wish to leave WITHOUT any early termination fees due to the price rise.

As you want to move to Sky, Plusnet will still charge you £30 as a CESSATION FEE on the phone line which they will be charged when your phone line is moved to Sky at the telephone exchange by Openreach.

sambrown2016

Re: I'm thinking of leaving, already in my last month, will I have to pay an early termination fee

Thanks for the information. BT (whom I know own Plusnet) have a pretty sweet offer on at the moment as well, would there be a £30 cessation fee for moving to BT?

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 67

Fix

@sambrown2016

No as they all use the BT Openreach network. The charge only applies when you move the phone line to an LLU provider (one who has their own equipment in the exchange like Sky, Talktalk) or to a cable company (Virgin).

Effectively the line ceases to be controlled by BT Openreach so they extract some money for the pleasure of moving the connection within the exchange or terminating it in Virgin's case.