cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm coming back, need a little help.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: I'm coming back, need a little help.

Sorry to hear of the distress you've experienced at the hands of TalkTalk. Angry
Hope things are now returning to a more even keel and for better news about your family member. Smiley
David
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@GJenkins
I'm really sorry to read about your distressing situation and I hope that it improves quickly.
I hope Plusnet thoroughly investigates what happened as they have been blamed for the cease, but why an email about transferring your phone service to another provider should say anything about "Potential loss of your Broadband Service with us" I don't know. That should not happen, you are transferring a phone service only - it sounds like a veiled threat to me. Nor IMHO should you be charged £50 and Plusnet should refund that. I just cannot accept that your Fibre Broadband was ceased by anyone other than Plusnet as even if TalkTalk were hijacking it, it should have been a seamless transfer - unless of course there's been a foul up by OpenReach.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If they were being moved to TalkTalk LLU of course there would be a cease put on to the broadband as a result of the line being moved across - they'd no longer have a BTw telephone line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Did he say he was moving to TalkTalk LLU? or are you just trying to treat me as an idiot as if I didn't know the consequences of moving to TalkTalk LLU.
Since when did the physical operation of Fibre which comes from the cabinet, not the exchange, actually care what telephone line was on the exchange end! He said he was moving his Phone Service and his Fibre Broadband was staying with Plusnet.
The phone service could be WLR3, TalkTalk do provide phone services using WLR3 (& CPS come to that), not that a customer would necessarily know that or need to understand it (or even care) as long as they can make and receive calls!
It is quite obvious the Fibre service doesn't give a damn what phone service is on the other end, how else do you think TalkTalk actually supply a Fibre service? Do TalkTalk cabinets suddenly spring up in customers front gardens? No, of course not, they use the same service and cabinets provisioned by BT Wholesale, the same as used by Plusnet..
So even if TalkTalk had been slamming the service it should have been a seamless transfer as I stated previously.
Quote from: GJenkins
So I thought awesome! My phone is now with talktalk and fibre remains with plusnet.
Yesterday I notice that my DSL light on the openreach modem was off and I had no internet.
I called plusnet and they said that talktalk placed cease on the line and it was beyond the point of no return...
I phoned talktalk and get the usual thing where the people you speak to have absolutely no clue what you are talking about and got passed from department to department and getting cut off multiple times. Eventually got through to someone who understood me but they said there was nothing that they could do as the request came from another provider called PLUSNET!!!
Confused? Read on...

So clearly someone and the system has fouled up and it shouldn't have happened. There is no way a customer should lose any service of any kind without a clear Black and White warning stating what Will happen in sufficient time for them to cancel should they not have realised beforehand.
This was the whole point of my remarks and your derisory comment detracts from this very important point. The methods and procedures by which orders and ceases are implemented must change. The evidence suggests that there is a need for OFCOM to tighten the rules because the current ones do not protect the End User from greed and manipulation by Service Providers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

We're really sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving us. We're treating this as a request to end your telephone service agreement with us.
So before your telephone service moves, there are some things you may need to consider:

• Possible cancellation costs if you're still in contract with us
• You may need to arrange for your Plusnet account to be closed
• Potential loss of your broadband service with us

If the move had been to another supplier who use the BTw system then the broadband service wouldn't be affected BUT if the move was to an LLU supplier then the fibre service wiould be cancelled automatically as part of the move due to the fact that a BTw phone line is a mandatory requirement.
Plusnet couldn't be more specific as they have no idea who the phone line is being transferred to.
Since when did the physical operation of Fibre which comes from the cabinet, not the exchange, actually care what telephone line was on the exchange end! He said he was moving his Phone Service and his Fibre Broadband was staying with Plusnet.
Always with Fibre as it is a mandatory requirement to have a BTw supplied phone line and that isn't an LLU line.
As BTo have no method of contacting the customer the warning would have to come from the gaining supplier but, as they would have no idea whether there was fibre on the line or not, they couldn't give a warning either. So basically it seems to boil down to the customer understanding the restrictions on fibre broadband and what he signed up to
I refer to the T&C here http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html#fibre
you will need to have and keep a Plusnet or BT telephone line for the duration of the service. An engineer installation visit will be required where no working fibre installation already exists. The provision of Plusnet Fibre is subject to availability and a line check. The service may be incompatible with other services you have.
This couldn't be clearer
Anotherone
Champion

Jim, you are, I'm afraid, totally missing my point.
As I have already said TalkTalk provide BTw WLR3, CPS & LLU services. A non-technical user may not/will not appreciated the differences.
When transferring one service, any other service should Not be affected without a clear specific statement as to the effects on other services, this being provided in adequate time for the user to cancel anything should they not have appreciated the full implications, whether that be due to technical or contractual matters.
Quote from: Oldjim
As BTo have no method of contacting the customer the warning would have to come from the gaining supplier but, as they would have no idea whether there was fibre on the line or not, they couldn't give a warning either

I wasn't suggesting that BTOR contact an End User and a gaining supplier would also have no idea (or even care) about any Ts&Cs from a losing supplier. The warning should clearly come form the losing supplier. Openreach are well aware of what services are on the line and it should be mandatory that they notify the losing supplier in a minimum timescale before any transfer of services.
It is precisely because this doesn't happen at present that so many people end up getting slammed (though slamming may not be the case here, we would not know until Plusnet fully investigate and advise the EU).
Always with Fibre as it is a mandatory requirement to have a BTw supplied phone line and that isn't an LLU line.

Are you talking about Plusnet's or BT Retails Ts&Cs here? As I've already said
Quote from: Anotherone

You could cut the telephone line at the exchange end and leave it disconnected, it would make no difference to a Fibre Service.
When TalkTalk provide their Fibre service, I'd be very surprised if OFCOM regulations made it mandatory that they use BT WLR, this would seem anti-competitive, but I can't say I've checked that aspect.
Have you checked that where TalkTalk provide a Fibre service they are not using LLU phone where it's available? Devonian may be able to comment on that!
Plusnet couldn't be more specific as they have no idea who the phone line is being transferred to.

Oh yes they could, that email could be very precise. They know exactly which product the EU is on.
Two little words
you will need to have and keep a Plusnet or BT telephone line for the duration of the service

buried in a long list of Ts&Cs (of which I was already aware) is not good enough even if it may be enforcible in law.
In any event, we don't know if Plusnet had agreed that it was OK to move the phone service and keep the Fibre in his discussions with them about his nuisance call problem. In fact, did they discuss the possible options with GJenkins eg. a re-number, they certainly should have, but as that detail hasn't been provided we don't know. I'm surprised we have as much detail as we have considering the distressing circumstances under which this occurred.
Quote from: Anotherone
The methods and procedures by which orders and ceases are implemented must change. The evidence suggests that there is a need for OFCOM to tighten the rules because the current ones do not protect the End User from greed and manipulation by Service Providers.

And this will only happen if End Users and providers like Plusnet complain to OFCOM.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

[quote=http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html#broadband_family]What we provide
[list type=decimal]
  • The service we agree to give you includes:
    [list type=decimal]
  • a high-speed network access to the internet;

• helpdesk services; and

• other applications and features as described at http://www.plus.net/broadband.

• You will need to have a Plusnet or BT telephone line to enable you to receive your Plusnet Broadband service.

•    
    Oldjim
    Resting Legend
    Fixes: 63

Regarding Fibre LLU this is from Sky 
    Yes, you'll need a residential phone line with Sky Talk calls and Line Rental to get Sky Fibre Unlimited.
    So I assume that Talk Talk will eventually be the same
    Anotherone
    Champion

What I haven't looked at Jim is whether any of them will provide a Fibre Service in a "true" Market 1 exchange that has been Fibre enabled.
    @jelv
    I consider the manner in which you have made your last post to be somewhat insensitive to GJenkins circumstances and as I already indicated in my reply to JIm, I am aware of Plusnet's Ts&Cs and the quoted one means a BTw line not a BT Retail line. Plusnet have stated that they do not enforce a requirement that the phone line is with them or BT Retail, but may consider doing so in the future.
    In any event, this makes absolutely no difference to my point about OFCOM regulations and the transfer of services.
    GJenkins
    Grafter

Oh what have I started?!
    Well I already checked with both talktalk, and plusnet and a BT engineer who lives not far from me. They have all said that the voice and fibre are completely independent of each other. My talktalk phone went live at the beginning of the month and experienced no change in my internet whatsoever, until the 21st when talktalk actually ceased the line and everything was handed back to BT - I wasn't even able to access talktalk's online account panel.
    From what the engineer has told me, and this is my interpretation, the actual PHYSICAL line leaving the house is, and will always belong to BT, it is only BT that are able to make modifications to it, the unbundling happens at the exchange and any modification there also has to be made by BT. Apparently the only thing that the engineer does is flash equipment down at the exchange with the provider's software which erases the old provider's software, older exchanges are more 'hands on' apparently.
    This kind of makes sense to me, maybe others can shed more light (or did I just start off something else?) I can possibly get some more clarity if there are any questions next time I see him.
    Anyways better news, plusnet have waived the £65 fee (up from £50) as long as I stay with them for at least 12 months.
    I ALREADY have my phone up and running on its new number, although not showing that I have it on my plusnet control panel yet though, no DSL light (not that I am expecting it to work right away as it gets ordered after the phone goes live)
    drj
    Aspiring Pro
    Fixes: 1

Good - I hope things continue to improve both in the technology sense and your personal circumstances - can I just ask you to clear up a few loose ends please which might be useful for others in a similar position:
    A] Why could Plusnet not just allocate you a new number in the first place - when you complained about the nuisance calls? Did you ask for one and they refused? Or did you have other reasons for switching?
    B] Did you specifically ask Plusnet whether your Broadband would continue unaffected when you transferred your phone line? After all their terms and conditions specifically state "you will need to have and keep a Plusnet or BT telephone line for the duration of the service". Whilst I realise that may be just a marketing ploy and not a technological requirement, it's still a stipulation of the standard T+Cs.
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

The technical requirement is to have a telephone line supplied by BT Wholesale, so that can include providers like the Post Office.
    orbrey
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
    I'll be back with a bit more once I've had time to check on what's going on properly (though it all looks to be very much in hand) but I did want to confirm we received notification of an LLU PSTN Cease on GJenkins' line on the 19th which completed on the 21st. It was indeed a transfer to TalkTalk's LLU service and as a result that is indeed what ceased both services - certainly nothing to do with us.
    As an aside (and sorry GJenkins) I must say - I've had to ask a couple of people on these threads to stop arguing in public before, and it's a shame that I feel I have to do so again, but please - stop it. This is not in any way a competition, there are no points for knowing more than anyone else. <b>Can we PLEASE keep the focus on helping people and stop trying to one-up each other.</b>
    Thank you.
    drj
    Aspiring Pro
    Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
    The technical requirement is to have a telephone line supplied by BT Wholesale, so that can include providers like the Post Office.

Thank you - to someone like me who hasn't got a clue what all the technicalities others cite are, I do feel the situation is not at all clear at times.
    Anotherone
    Champion

Quote from: Matt
    Can we PLEASE keep the focus on helping people........

Thanks you Matt. The focus here is on trying to prevent people from unexpectedly losing their service(s), either because of unanticipated or inappropriate action by another supplier. What would you suggest?
    Quote from: Matt
    .............. I did want to confirm we received notification of an LLU PSTN Cease on GJenkins' line on the 19th which completed on the 21st. It was indeed a transfer to TalkTalk's LLU service and as a result that is indeed what ceased both services - certainly nothing to do with us.

Can you explain what action Plusnet took when they received this notice?
    @GJenkins
    Well I'm glad that Plusnet have waived the fee. What you have started is something that has been rumbling along for a number of years and it has to be put a stop to. Out of curiosity, how long had you had the Fibre Service before this happened?