Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost my email address when I upgraded my Plusnet account

FIXED
Mabalert
Hooked

I lost my email address when I upgraded my Plusnet account

We recently moved house and stayed with Plusnet for several reasons, but one crucial factor was that we didn't want the hassle of changing our Plusnet email address as it's linked to so many online accounts. We were offered an upgrade which was attractive but I insisted that it was important to keep our email address. I was assured that this would be the case!

In practice however, our username has had to change slightly and therefore the email address linked with our old account is no longer working. This is causing all sorts of problems as our many of our online accounts including with government, tax, bank, utilities and other vendors such as Amazon were all linked to this email account.

Is there any way that our old email account can be revived so that these important emails don't disappear into the ether? Failing that, can there at least be a means of receiving messages sent to the old email account into our new Plusnet account so that we can inform parties as we go?

20 REPLIES 20
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: I lost my email address when I upgraded my Plusnet account

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Email to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @Mabalert and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see the account issues you've had moving house and your emails have stopped working.

I've now converted your old account to "Plusnet Mail" which will be separate from your new account.

Can you let me know if you're able to send & receive emails normally now?

You should also get back emails that were present in your mailbox at the time your account was cancelled, but if you were sent emails between that time and now, they'd have bounced back to the sender I'm afraid. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mabalert
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf,

I noticed that a few emails had come through on our old account last night which was encouraging, but I don't seem to be able to send or receive emails on it today. There is no error return message when I try to send mail to the old account from my Gmail account which indicates that it is at least active.

I suspect that the problem has been caused by my fiddling with the account settings and its probable that it will be restored with the right settings. Would you be able to advise please (e.g. IMAP vs POP3, username, ports, incoming and outgoing address etc)

Thanks 

Mabalert

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Mabalert Todays problems are caused by a 'malfunction' on Plusnets servers and/or other equipment.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @Mabalert

I'm glad to see things were working last night, though today we're aware that some people are having issues with their Plusnet email service and we’re working to resolve the issue as soon as we can.

When we've got more information to share we'll be updating our service status Here and Here.

Let me know how it goes. Really sorry for the inconvenience. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mabalert
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf,

The email account seems to be up and running on both of our iPhones this morning - that's both sending and receiving emails. Grateful thanks to you for that.

There does still seem to be a problem with the Mabalert email account on the desktop which I thought it might be because I've fiddled with the settings and done something wrong on the way. However I've checked the account settings on the desktop with those on my laptop (which is receiving and sending emails through the account) and the settings appear to be the same, i.e.:

POP/SMTP; User name - mabalert;

Incoming: Server - mail.plus.net; Port - 110; remember password - checked
Outgoing: Server - relay.plus.net; Port - 25; encryption method - none

I've also tried the settings currently recommended by Plusnet - i.e. to use Port 995 for incoming mail, however all I've tried results in the error message:

"Something went wrong and Outlook couldn't save your account settings"

Having the email account live through iPhone and laptop is good, but it would be useful to figure out what is going wrong on the desktop if we can. Thanks.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Mabalert, thanks for getting back to us. I'm pleased to hear mail is working good OK on your iPhone and laptop, though sorry for the issues with your desktop.

Can you please confirm what mail client you are using (ie Outlook, Thunderbird etc) and have you tried removing the account and setting up from scratch?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Mabalert
Hooked

Hi Lauren,

I'm using Outlook and have considered setting up from scratch, but have not done so yet as I didn't want to lose emails already associated with the account which I still need to respond to.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming.

Can you provide us a screenshot (blocking out any personal info) of all the settings just so we can have a check over it?

If everything looks all good though, the next step will likely need to be to remove and re-add if Outlook isn't liking the details. I'd recommend ensuring to back up what you need first though.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Mabalert
Hooked

Thanks Lauren,

Sorry for the delay in replying. There's been a development in that I got an email via Outlook which said:

"This is an email message sent automatically by Microsoft Outlook while testing the settings for your account."

Since getting this message I'm now able to receive mail but I am still unable to send mail from the account. Which is very odd.

As requested I've attached a composite screen shot highlighting the settings and error message that I'm getting.

Best wishes

Steve

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me @Mabalert, I am sorry for the issues with your email. Thanks for getting back to me with the screenshot.

I'm not seeing any problems with the settings. Do you get an error message/ bounceback when trying to send?

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

@LaurenB I'm not trying to teach granny how to suck eggs here 😉 , but trying to send emails in the current situation is a little problematic.

John
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the reply @jab1, I agree! However, the OP has mentioned things working fine over client on a phone and laptop so trying to determine if the issue is just with Outlook. Though of course could still be related to the ongoing issue.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

Sorry, @LaurenB - hadn't read the full topic.Embarrassed

John