cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to either take an inferior product or incur a 'cancellation' fee because no capacity!

garyd007

I have to either take an inferior product or incur a 'cancellation' fee because no capacity!

Hi,

I am moving home and WANT to take my Plusnet service with me.

However, even though both Plusnet and BT websites say they can provide a fibre service to the new address, I am told by the relevant team that I can only have either the slower ADSL, or I must pay a 'cancellation' fee!

I find this quite astonishing.

It's not a cancellation fee. It's paying for the service in full which I then don't receive.

Surely this cannot be be right?

This country never ceases to disappoint.

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: I have to either take an inferior product or incur a 'cancellation' fee because no capacity!

@garyd007 wrote:

However, even though both Plusnet and BT websites say they can provide a fibre service to the new address, I am told by the relevant team that I can only have either the slower ADSL, or I must pay a 'cancellation' fee!

There is devil in the detail ... on a house move, Plusnet will provide whatever service is available that is part of their product offering or you can terminate the contract with the agreed Early Termination Charges (ETCs).  One can understand that this might not be palatable but, that is the contract we all enter into.

Now the detail - at your location is it a case that (at the moment) there are no spare FTTC ports or is it a case that BTOR have only provisioned FTTP at that location?  Both are referred to as "fibre" but the characteristics of the commercials are quite different.

If it is FTTP then presently Plusnet do not offer a FTTP service but keep an eye on this space.  In the short term if a Plusnet user moves in to a FTTP area and takes a FTTP service from BT or EE Plusnet have been known to waive the ETCs.

If it is FTTC and there is no capacity then no ISP can supply a fibre service until BTOR provide more ports.  Is there a forecast for this?  In such circumstances all any ISP can do is provision ADSL and wait for the availability of a free FTTC port. IIRC Plusnet will only charge for the service you are getting.

Not really sure what outcome you are seeking here - no ports means no ports there is nothing any ISP can do.  If it is a matter of the infrastructure being FTTP there are commercial avenues which will allow you to change ISPs without incurring the ETC charges.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: I have to either take an inferior product or incur a 'cancellation' fee because no capacity!

@garyd007 

It sounds like there is a capacity problem at your new property. What precisely does this website say is available at the property? https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

To be fair you have taken out a contract to supply a service to your old property. There is no guarantee that you can get that service if you choose to break that contract by moving.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@garyd007 

You're looking for either WBC FTTP or VDSL in the left hand column of the results window in the link previously provided. To the right it'll say either Available or Waiting List.

Brian