cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have recieved a cancellation email by mistake. Help.

julhaz1
Dabbler

I have recieved a cancellation email by mistake. Help.

Hi guys,
I recieved an email saying that my fibre plusnet was being terminated because i was apparently moving to a new ISP. This is wrong.
In my house there are multiple people who share the bills, I pay for the internet, while my brother pays for the telephone line [currently BT]. They recently switched to talktalk for their phone service only. Not internet.
I believe Talktalk either by accident or on purpose switched the internet as well. We will call Talktalk tomorrow and ask them why they tried to switch the internet package.
Just to reiterate I have not actively cancelled the Plusnet fibre I am currently on. Please do not transfer our broadband to talktalk, i wish to remain on plusnet.
12 REPLIES 12
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: I have recieved a cancellation email by mistake. Help.

Bad news I'm afraid - Plusnet can only supply broadband on a phone line connected to BT equipment in the telephone exchange.
Talk Talk have their own exchange equipment so the transfer of the line to them has triggered the cancellation of your Plusnet broadband service because they cannot supply you via the TT line.
To add to your problems, you will lose the Internet completely when the line transfers as you haven't ordered broadband from TT.
julhaz1
Dabbler

What does that mean though?
I'm sure all telephone operators lease from BT?
If not, is there a list of companies that do provide their telephone via bt exchange?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sky and TalkTalk are the two main providers who have their own exchange equipment. If you use one of them for the phone you you can only take broadband from the same company. There are also a handful of companies who supply the TalkTalk wholesale product - in that case you do have the choice of another TalkTalk provider.
To add to your woes you are going to be charged by Plusnet for cancelling the service.
If it's not too late you need to get your brother to cancel the move to TalkTalk.
See http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html#broadband_family
Plusnet Broadband Family service terms
What we provide
[list type=decimal]
  • The service we agree to give you comprises:
    [list type=decimal]
  • a high-speed network access to the internet that is delivered over a Plusnet or BT compatible telephone line;

• helpdesk services; and

• any other applications and features as described at http://www.plus.net/broadband.

• You will need to have a Plusnet or BT telephone line to enable you to receive your Plusnet Broadband service.

• jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    jem16
    Grafter

Quote from: jelv
    Sky and TalkTalk are the two main providers who have their own exchange equipment. If you use one of them for the phone you you can only take broadband from the same company.

Sky do still have BB customers without Sky phone lines (particularly many who were bought over from O2 BB) although they will push you down the line of also having Sky line rental.
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero
    Fixes: 10

I know they have existing broadband users without Sky phone lines, but will they take new ones? Also here we are talking about the reverse, phone without broadband so I don't think this is relevant.
    jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    Marksfish
    Seasoned Pro
    Fixes: 4

Quote from: jem16
    Sky do still have BB customers without Sky phone lines (particularly many who were bought over from O2 BB) although they will push you down the line of also having Sky line rental.

Sky will not currently provide broadband to anyone not subscribing to their phone service. The only people on BT lines are legacy customers and those that have been bought by Sky through recent acquisitions.
    Mark
    HPsauce
    Pro
    Fixes: 2

An additional "gotcha" is that acquired/legacy ADSL-only customers cannot upgrade to FTTC, that is only allowed if you take the phone at the same time.
    One of the many reasons when Sky acquired Be that made me return to PlusNet before I got into Sky's clutches.
    (Though my fibre availability date, despite some cabinets being live for over a year now, has just gone back a WHOLE YEAR to Dec 2015!)
    pwatson
    Rising Star
    Fixes: 1

Is any of the discussion, and point scoring, regarding legacy Sky contracts of any help at all to the OP in their current predicament?  No, thought not Wink
    If he is unable to cancel the take over of the line by Talk Talk then he may as well as resign himself to using them for broadband as well...
    Marksfish
    Seasoned Pro
    Fixes: 4

Can't see any point scoring going on, but yes it did go slightly off topic AFTER the answer had been given, so is there really a problem  Wink
    HPsauce
    Pro
    Fixes: 2

Exactly.  Wink It all looked like useful additional information aimed at assisting the OP in more fully understanding the situation and the limitations both now and in the future.  Cool
    Townman
    Superuser
    Superuser
    Fixes: 156

Quote from: julhaz1
    In my house there are multiple people who share the bills, I pay for the internet, while my brother pays for the telephone line [currently BT]. They recently switched to talktalk for their phone service only. Not internet.

Poor you, you brother shot you in the back ... you just cannot go changing telephone providers "willy-nilly" in isolation from other service provided over that phone line.
    What's more, of all the gin joints in all the towns and all the world, he has to go and choose Talk Talk - that sure is the road to hell!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
    Legend
    Fixes: 169

From what I can tell you managed to sort this out, let us know if not and we'll do what we can to help.
    Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.