cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we cancel our 12 month contract when it comes to an end?

AG66

How do we cancel our 12 month contract when it comes to an end?

We are on a 12 month contract which began on 7th Oct last year. Will the contract just end or do we have to give 30 days notice? Yes I know you're going to charge £30 cessation fee.

The last time we were with Plusnet they stopped collecting our DD and then without contacting us referred the matter to a debt collection agency who didn't bother telling us what the debt was for or who was charging us. We took them to Ofcom and won our case.

A few years down the line I thought they might have improved but no. The fibre broadband we're paying for is less than 5 Mb faster than when we were on the lowest Sky package. The sky broadband was stable and consistent. No changes to the line which was put in new by BT the year before with a new master socket. The broadband has been consistently unreliable from Plusnet. Speeds regularly drop to around 9Mb. Plusnet not interested until you've done BT wholesale line tests 3 times over 12 hour period and notified results. By that time speeds increased. 

Every day at various times of day and particularly regularly at night, the broadband drops completely for minutes at a time and then comes back on. This is such a regular daily occurrence we've become accustomed to it but I'm certainly not renewing with Plusnet again and will never use them again in the future. 

Yes I've run all the tests. I'm an IT Consultant and have professional testing equipment including wifi scanning. I've also spent a number of years installing broadband myself from the days of dial up to modern setup.

I'm not going to spend huge amounts of time as others have on these forums waiting for a call centre to answer, only to have a first line support agent with little knowledge, experience or training read from a script.

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: How do we cancel our 12 month contract when it comes to an end?

This may well be the dumbest questions ever coming from a supposed IT Consultant. 

1. Why would you cancel your contract? If you are transferring, use the gaining supplier process.

2. Assuming you will be going elsewhere if you stay on the BT Wholesale network then you won't/should not get a £30 cancellation fee.

3. If you do nothing, the your service will continue after the 7th October and you will be charged at the current published rates.

4. As an IT consultant you should know your broadband/Fibre is carried over the same infrastructure whether you are on BT/Sky/PN, and should be able to differentiate if the issues you are having are via wired connections or Wi-Fi and maybe even use suitable logging software to monitor your connectivity.

Just saying! 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @AG66 welcome to the forums.

As @Mustrum has advised, if you are transferring to another provider, you can use the gaining supplier process. If you do nothing, you will go onto a rolling contract paying the current rates. 

With regards to your Broadband issues, we are more than happy to look into this for  you. The connection is stable as seen below and I have run a test which highlights no issues; the your line is in sync within the estimates you were provided with on sign up. image15356166465345

Are you able to confirm if the issue is just over WiFi or if you experience similar issues over a Wired connection? If is also affected over Wired connections, you can report the fault to us here.

Can you also run us a speed test here (we only need the one), this needs to be run via Ethernet with no other devices connected to WiFi and if you can input your landline number under further diagnostics, this will upload the results to our server. 

If you let us know once you have done this, we will pick it up for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
AG66

So according to Plusnet - We're a friendly bunch of Plusnet customers helping each other out, answering questions and talking about everything under the sun from broadband to what we're having for breakfast.

My very first post on this forum I get abuse by an ignorant troll for asking a question about Plusnets cancellation policy.

Why is that a dumb question for an IT Consultant? Am I supposed to know their policy inside out and backwards?

Did I say I was transferring the line to another supplier? No! The question I asked was whether I actively need to cancel the contract at the end of 12 months or do I do nothing and it just ceases? This is not a technical question but one about Plusnets business policy.

Not that it's any of your business, but I don't need the line in future as I'm moving over to  fibre cable direct to the house, hence my acknowledgement of the cancellation fee.

Pity you couldn't answer my question but followed the assumptions of the troll!

I'll be passing these comments to your CEO.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @AG66 I am really sorry if you have taken my reply as taking the side of @Mustrum's comment.

I was simply advising that the information provided was correct, (aside from I didn't mention the £30 cease fee, as this is no longer applicable). 

I advised of the gaining supplier process as if you were moving to another supplier (I apologise that I assumed this was the case), this would incur less downtime and be a more straightforward process rather than ceasing your line. If you just wish to cease the line, it's 14 days notice. 

If you have any further queries please just let us know. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team