cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I tell if I'm on the best fibre/call package for me?

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: How can I tell if I'm on the best fibre/call package for me?

Looking at the "anonymous call reject" (ACR) basic info and, as you have caller id, have you thought of using your own call blocker? They provide an equivalent service and much more for an upfront cost equivalent to 10 months ACR, thereafter saving at least £4 per month Cheesy
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
BertCoules
Grafter

Phil, thanks for that.  I'm not familiar with the call blocker device: I'll investigate.  I had been thinking of experimentally dropping the Anonymous Call Reject option, just to see what difference it makes.  It doesn't in any case deal with unidentified cold calls from overseas, which I'm currently plagued with - would a call blocker eliminate those?
PeeGee
Pro

If your exchange has been upgraded to present the international number as well as the word "International", then they can be selectively blocked, if not, you can only set a complete block. Call blockers (such as the CPR model) are also "line powered", so have no running costs Cheesy
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
BertCoules
Grafter

I get caller ID on some international calls but not on the nuisance ones, so I imagine a call blocking device wouldn't be able to help there: I presume they need the number in order to block it.  Or can they be set to block all unidentified calls, including overseas ones?  I'll have a search around.
PeeGee
Pro

If you do not receive any international calls that you wish to answer (from relatives etc), then the call blockers can be set to block all international calls.
Phil
BertCoules
Grafter

No, I can't block all international calls, that's not a practical option.  So if the call blocker device won't stop ID-withheld overseas calls, it can't really help me with my principal problem.
BertCoules
Grafter

...however, I've decided it can help in other ways.  I ordered the CPR Callblocker from Amazon UK and it's just arrived: the package is smaller and lighter than I was imagining.  Now to set it up...
PeeGee
Pro

@BertCoules
This may be of interest to you (and others).
As CPR recommend a different way to block international calls now that the number is presented with the upgraded exchanges, I decided to contact them about blocking "withheld" International calls (because I wanted to know myself). The reply:
Numbers from overseas that are masked/hidden are blocked via the INTERNATIONAL/OUT OF AREA blocking code as normal. But normal legitimate numbers that aren't hidden/masked will now come through as INTL 00.... on your caller display and these will be allowed through as normal unless you block them all with the 00 area code block or press the BLOCK NOW button on the calls.

So, **7#*# is still used to block international calls that do not present a number. Also, area code blocking accepts 2 to 5 leading digits.
Phil
Note: quote modified as 00 followed by 11 ? produced three Huh
BertCoules
Grafter

Phil, many thanks for that.  I'm still exploring the possibilities of the programming, so this new information from CPR is obviously very useful.
BertCoules
Grafter

A small problem: for the past few days the CPR blocker had been working perfectly, but this morning I had no dialling tone and authorised callers were hearing the engaged signal.  Removing the blocker restored the line, and it remained up when I reconnected the blocker using the alternative sockets (1 rather than the curiously recommended 2).  But it's a little worrying that everything was originally fine and then suddenly not.
PeeGee
Pro

That must be a change as the recommendation for my v.105 unit is to try "1" (which works) and to change to "2" if problems with no dial tone etc Smiley
However, my set-up is "not recommended" as I have an unprotected "1571 phone" plugged into the removable plate at the master socket (which registers blocked calls but doesn't ring for them) and the call blocker on an extension wired to the back of the plate Shocked
Phil
BertCoules
Grafter

Phil, I was surprised by the setup instructions, but when I double-checked, there it was: plug the incoming cable into LINE 2 and connect your telephone to the TEL 2 port.  According to the user guide, my unit is version 108, so you're right: somewhere along the line something has changed.
Everything has been stable since I switched to the number 1 sockets, but I'm having to keep a careful eyes on the situation: everything was stable on the recommended sockets too, for the first few days.  
The device certainly works though (when it does, I mean): only one nuisance call has got past it so far and I was able to add that number to the blocked list with a single button-press.  So thanks for the recommendation.