cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Dare You

alexirving

How Dare You

You've sent me to a debt collection agency???? You called me saying my account had a broken billing cycle, which I knew! As I've been trying to pay you for months!!

I recieved a phone call saying that you were going to close the account and nothing would be charged

I also spoke to another person a month later who assured me that it had been resolved and I shouldn't worry anymore.

I have been told you will review the phonecalls on the 29/05/2020 and the 23/07/2020 when I was told in no certain terms that I wouldn't have to pay a penny.

I also recieved an email stating:

"Broken account had to create another account due to billing date in the past so customer created a new account, with a 12 month contract and we have said no fees would apply for previous account.

Please waive all charges."

I expect this to happen and an apology for the excessive inconvenience.

I am applying for a mortgage next month and if this effects my credit score I will be contacting every single relevant authority and every single paper who would want to pick this up.

I was told that I wouldn't have to pay anything on 2 seperate occasions. I have an email stating "waive all charges" this was after I'd already been told on the phone twice that the changes would be waived.

YOU CALLED ME TO TELL ME THAT YOU WERE WAIVING ALL CHARGES!!!

YOU. CALLED. ME.

The level of incompetence is beyond anything I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing.

I have a mortgage application coming in a month and your threatening my credit score!!!

Upset is not the word!!

I've tried to be nice. Oh I've tried so hard!!!

Instead of contacting me and explaining to me that the two people (again one of which called me) was incorrect and I would in fact have to pay the amount you sent me straight to a debt collection agency!!! I'm fuming!!! I feel sick that your company might effect my application!

I would have paid!!! But after multiple times of me calling you wouldnt accept my money!!!

How dare you!

Moderators Note: All caps title replaced as per Forum rules

4 REPLIES 4
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: How Dare You

As far as i know your credit score will not be affected until the so called debt is proved in a court - usually on the small claims track of the county court - however with a mortgage application due soon you should check this.

I would recommend getting advice over on the money saving expert site forums with regards to that : https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/

There is also a GDPR ( remember all of those emails you had a while back) aspect to this, GDPR replaced the Data protection act.  Some basic parts of this are that a company can only hold your data if there is just cause to do so, passing your personal data to a third party - such as a debt collection agency without just cause could be a breach of GDPR, from which you could be owed compensation.

Mistakes and errors made by a professional company should be no excuse.

If plusnet was a not for profit charity, run by volunteers then i would let something like this slip - with no more than a complaint, but plusnet is a professional for profit division of BT .

Heres my understanding of how this could affect your mortgage:

Debt company's are usually powerless and can do no more than issue threatening letters - however if you are in receipt of the buisness end of a Debt company you should not just sit back and ignore.

If you receive genuine court papers, and if the case goes to court, and if you then loose at the court stage you will get an order to pay, if ( after all the other if's)  you then fail to pay the court after a certain amount of time you will be issued with a CCJ which will then affect your mortgage aplication

As previous you should take advice on the money saving expert site, although hopefuly the above should stop the worry a little.

However this should not have happened, and i would look into/research the GDPR/data breach aspect as well

alexirving

Thank you so much for this well thought out helpful reply!

They listened to the recordings and heard them tell me I wouldn't be charged so they are going to call off the dogs and waive the charge... Let's see if that actually happens! I've had several promises and assurances at this point so I'm not holding my breath!

If (or when) this resolution goes belly up this information is going to be very helpful.
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

for some reason the title of this post reminds me of Max and paddy

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@pint wrote:

As far as i know your credit score will not be affected until the so called debt is proved in a court - usually on the small claims track of the county court - however with a mortgage application due soon you should check this.

Not true. If a company reports to a credit reference agency, they will report that your account is up to date, in arrears or in default. Either of the latter 2 can and will affect your credit rating. That said, you could also be sort of right because I don't know if PN report to CRA's, as I haven't seen them on my reports (Transunion & Experian).

Hopefully though, seeing the reply from the op, it is in hand to be resolved.