Did you mean: 

House Move in the next 4-5 weeks

FIXED
thecrius
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

House Move in the next 4-5 weeks

Good morning,

I read already, on the main website, that I should consider up to 4 weeks to move the service from the current address to a new one.

I'm opening this topic just to ask others that went through the same process, or the support, if there is anything else I should keep in mind while starting this process. Also, I understand that 4 weeks is a precautionary time window. The "in case things go wrong". How much time has been really passed until the service transferred for others? Trying to have an average here as with Remote Working being the default way of working now for me, having a working internet connection is quite essential.

I've already looked around for 1month SIM data contracts just to be safe but it would help having a more precise time window rather than "between 1 days and 28 days".

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: House Move in the next 4-5 weeks

@thecrius 

Are you moving to a new build?

Have you checked what services are available at the new address  try https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL? If necessary use the address checker accessed through a link. Note that if it’s not a new build and the current occupant has FTTC, if the checker advices that there’s a waiting list because the cabinet is full you might be disappointed.

If it’s not a new build do you know what service the current occupant uses? Is it an ISP that currently uses the Openreach infrastructure? If so it will probably cause minimal interruption if you can arrange to take over the line rather than the old service being cancelled then you needing to arrange a new service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

thecrius
Rising Star

Thank you @Baldrick1, it's not a new building. I'm moving in a rented property for the next year or so. Unfortunately I don't have any of the information required by that page but checking on the common website that gives you offers for your postcode, I've seen Plusnet is available. Also checking the "your internet speed" page on plusnet, for that postcode, return results similar to the current ones I'm getting so it shouldn't be a problem really.

I've no information on what the current tenants have been using but assuming that the offers I've seen online for that postcode are the regular fibre (plusnet, vodafone and other budget ones) I don't think they could not be connected with Openreach.

To give you an idea, the property is close to SS6 7HJ (not the exact postcode, just one in the proximity).

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Fix

Good morning @thecrius

Thanks a lot for reaching out.

So theoretically, it takes up around 2 weeks to take over a working line at a property, the same lead time usually applies when restarting a stopped line, or having a new line installed (FTTC). Saying that, there are a few things to bare in mind when initiating a House Move on your account.

• The earlier you start it, the better. If you have a move date in mind, get in touch, and we'll get the orders placed as soon as possible. Both the Cease and Provide dates can be pushed back, but cannot then be brought forward.
  • It's also better to initiate this process as soon as possible to minimise the chance of there being a Cease order already on the line at the new property. For instance, if the occupants tell their provider that they're moving out on 30/07/2021, their providers will place a cease order on the line for this date. While there's a "pending cease order" on the line, we'd be unable to place any orders on there whatsoever. We'd instead have to wait until the line is ceased before placing our orders to restart it.
  • We cannot have two services, at two different properties, active at the same time. House Move orders are put through as coordinated orders, basically one order that is split into two, a cease (current property, and a provide (new property). If you're pushing back the move date, it's always worth giving the agent a nudge to make sure that the cease date has also been pushed back. What sometimes happens is that services at the current property are cut off before the customer has moved out, which often leads to complaints as you can imagine.

In a nutshell, if you have a rough date in mind, get in touch as soon as possible. This can always be pushed back if needs be.

Give us a shout if you have any further questions at all Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
thecrius
Rising Star

Thank you so much @adam945.

I'm contacting moving companies in these days. As soon as I've a more accurate indication of the date in which I'll be able to conclude the house move I'll let Plusnet know.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Great stuff Smiley

When you're ready, give our Customer Options Team a call and they'll be more than happy to get you set up.

All the best with the move!

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds