Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Broadband

mcclim
Grafter

Help with Broadband

Help,
I persauded one of the people i had referred to plus.net to upgrade to broadband, they were upgraded on 24th May to BB, but it is still not working username of user is GOLFER44, I have spent a lot of time on the phone to plus.net about issues etc can anybody help with her connection ?
Thanks,
Neil
13 REPLIES 13
James
Grafter

Re: Help with Broadband

Hi there,
I've just had a quick look into the account and the line was definitely provisioned on May 21st.
Looking at the fault that has been raised on the line, it is suggesting that the problem is being caused by either internal wiring or filtering problems. It also looks like the initial modem may have been the source of the problem, whereby it was not always able to hold the connection to the BT Exchange, whereas the DLink kit she is now using appears to be able to hold onto the line without issue.
I'd put it down to slightly faulty hardware, but feel free to get back in touch if problems present themselves with the DLink kit, but make sure that the filters are also changed and try testing from the test socket, which you will find being the master socket faceplate on the bottom half.
mcclim
Grafter

Hi James,
The DLINK Kit she had is mine Smiley 
Was round at her house last night this is pretty much what happened.
I called round and her BT modem (think it is a 210) was in sync and I could connect to teh web everything was fine.  We powered the BT modem off and it would not sync again. 
I then plugged the DLINK kit into her line and it Sync'd without a problem.
Next I plugged in the BT kit using the same filter I had used for the DLink Router and it would not sync.
I then took both bits of kit to my house and they both sync'd without a problem. 
IS it a weak signal that is causing a problem ? I am going to call round tomorrow night to get the line stats for Dave, as he has requested them on the main forums.  The users house is some distance from the exchange.
To be honest with you I don't really have any idea where to go from here ?  Can the BT Modem be replaced and if it is will the new ones still suffer the same problems ?
James
Grafter

Hi Neil,
The line stats will definitely help us to get a better idea of where the problem lies.  If there is a relatively weak signal, it is possible that your DLink kit is better at holding onto synchronisation that the BT Voyager, in which case, this would explain why the BT Voyager keeps on dropping sync.
It could also be the case that the BT Voyager is partly faulty in that it behaves fine on good quality lines, but suffers with those that offer a much lower signal.  Show us we the line stats and then we'll be able to see how good the quality of the line is.  I'd also be interested to see how your DLink kit behaves over a couple of hours to see if it also drops the connection at all.
mcclim
Grafter

Thanks James, will get the stats tomorrow night.. tonight is pub night Grin
James
Grafter

Oh yes Smiley
(I'm on holiday tomorrow, so will have to make the most of it!)
mcclim
Grafter

Hi James.
Hope you had a good day off,
the line stats are below
Connection Status Connected
  Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
  Downstream Rate (Kbps) 576
  US Margin 17
  DS Margin 3
  Modulation MMODE
  LOS Errors 5
  DS Line Attenuation 63
  US Line Attenuation 63
  Path Mode Fast Path
James
Grafter

Hi again,
It's definitely a very long line.  63dB attenuation is the highest figure that gets reported by most equipment and I'm not really surprised that it's struggling to hold onto the line.
It's on a fixed rate 512Kbps service as opposed to max, presumably owing to the distance from the exchange.  We could technically try putting it onto a max service, but I think it would still suffer from the same sort of difficulties.
We can raise a fault with BT, but it may result in the service being removed (with your friends consent) for not being able to supply an adequate level of service.  Still, we can bridge that if it were to occur.  Entirely your call now.
mcclim
Grafter

Hi James,
What do you mean by bridge Huh  I have left the Dlink router connected to the line an it appears to be running OK.  If a call out is made to BT will She be charged ?
Would an option be to purchase a different router and hope that it works ok ?
THanks,
Neil
James
Grafter

Hi Neil,
I'd definitely go with the idea of getting a new router - perhaps the same model of yours if it is working okay?
If BT were to send out an engineer, there would be a call out charge if the router, filtering or internal wiring were at fault, but if it were a line fault then she wouldn't be charged.
mcclim
Grafter

Thanks James, BT have already been out to fix a fault in the exchange! for her line so I doubt if there is a fayult, I will talk to her and see what she would like to do.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: mcclim
Connection Status Connected
  Path Mode Fast Path

Wouldn't changing to "interleaved" help to stabilise this connection?
David
David
James
Grafter

Hi,
Unless I'm wrong, you can't get interleaving on a fixed rate product, so whilst it was a good spot, I don't think it is relevant in this case.
mcclim
Grafter

James, thanks for all your help with this, friend has decided to buy a new router...