Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help fixing my 'provisioning' and remove the speed cap on my line

Jolltax
Hooked

Help fixing my 'provisioning' and remove the speed cap on my line

Hi,

I spoke to PlusNet support yesterday about the fact that my connection is capped to 40 Mbps (I am on Unlimited Fibre Extra so this should not be the case)  and after some discussion a line test was conducted which apparently indicated that my 'provisioning' had been done incorrectly when my account was set up resulting in my connection being artificially limited to 40 Mpbs.  I don't know what 'provisioning' is but my modem reports that my line is capable of over 60 Mpbs.  I actually have two phone lines and ADSL connections, the other line is with Zen Internet and is always at 60 Mbps, so I know my line is capable of this without issue, Zen appears to be faster both up and downstream.

The support guy told me that the issue was fixed immediately by the provisioning department and the call was closed (Question 202156111) and that my connection would return to full speed immediately.  This did not happen, I decided to reboot my modem and wait 24 hours, below is what my modem is reporting and attached is a comparison of my two lines.

Unfortunately I am not able to speak to anyone in support today due to call volumes.

So my question is, when will my provisioning be fixed so my connection is at full speed?

Thanks

Jolltax

============================================================================
VDSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
G.Vector: Disable
Traffic Type: PTM Mode
Link Uptime: 0 day: 3 hours: 44 minutes
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 17.255 Mbps 39.999 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 17.225 Mbps 40.000 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 6.4 dB 12.8 dB
Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
Transmit Power: 7.6 dBm 12.8 dBm
Receive Power: -5.3 dBm -10.3 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 47.0 symbols
Total Attenuation: 12.8 dB 23.2 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 17.203 Mbps 60.731 Mbps
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 5.9 28.1 42.0 N/A 14.4 34.8 54.1
Signal Attenuation(dB): 5.9 27.5 41.3 N/A 20.1 34.5 54.1
SNR Margin(dB): 6.2 6.3 6.4 N/A 12.8 12.8 12.8
Transmit Power(dBm): 0.5 -14.8 6.5 N/A 9.6 7.9 6.2

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Help fixing my 'provisioning' and remove the speed cap on my line

@Jolltax  'provisioning' is basically the placing of the order for the product with the supplier (BT Wholesale). Unlimited Fibre extra is ordered with a 80/20 profile, whereas Unlimited Fibre is ordered with a 40/10 profile.

Something is odd with your line, it seems to be on a 40/20 profile, which AFAIK doesnt exist ?

If provisioning have had to place an order with BT to change anything, its likely to take 24 hrs to action, I certainly wouldn't expect it to be immediate.

Having said that, have you restarted the router since the support guy said it was fixed ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jolltax
Hooked

@MisterW Thanks for your response, I was told that the fix would be immediate buy what you are saying makes sense.

I have rebooted my modem twice in the last 24 hours since i was told the matter was resolved, and left it overnight.

I'll keep monitoring it, thanks for your help.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Jolltax  sorry, I missed in your original post that you'd already rebooted and waited 24 hours.

As I said, your synch speeds are strange, the fact that the upstream is 20Mb tends to indicate that you are provisioned on an 80/20 profile. Your downstream appears limited to 40Mb, its definitely capable of more , the SNR is way above the 6db target, and the max attainable is showing as 60Mb.

I wonder if the line has somehow got a banded 0-40Mb profile ? That would need a DLM reset to fix it, although I would have thought any order placed to re-provision would do that!.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable PN Help team will spot this thread and investigate , a GEA test would be nice ? ( that would show what profile is actually being applied )

edit: re-reading your initial post , it sounds like support did a GEA test when you called. Maybe its as simple as the initial provisioning got screwed up and either the modify order hasn't been actioned  or not placed or failed!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Jolltax. thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're speeds still aren't where you'd expect them to be currently. Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@BD  it's not a speed fault, it looks very much like its provisioned wrongly!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Jolltax @MisterW  It seems that most of the forum staff at PlusNet are not really helping with speed issues at present but spewing out a standard response and not examining the evidence which in this case is rather strange. There is no 40/20 service now, I believe there used to be in the past when a customer was provided a 80/20 service but capped to 40Mbps on the downstream which is what appears to be the case here bur I thought those customers were long ago switched to a 55/10 service because that was one of the openreach speed options and cheaper for PlusNet to supply. As MisterW says the only other suggestion I have is that the line has been banded by DLM to 40Mbps for some obscure reason. We need the help of a PlusNet wizard known as @Gandalf who will be able to find out what is going on here.😁

Jolltax
Hooked

@RealAleMadrid @MisterW 

Appreciate your help, I am sure they have other priorities and under the circumstances I guess I can afford to be patient.

Jolltax

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RealAleMadrid 

There is no 40/20 service now, I believe there used to be in the past when a customer was provided a 80/20 service but capped to 40Mbps on the downstream which is what appears to be the case here

it was never capped to 40Mb sync though, it was always an 80/20 provision  capped by the ( now largely defunct ) Plusnet profile aka Line speed so the the throughput couldn't go above 40Mb

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MisterW  Now you mention it I think you're right, it was the profile or PlusNet line speed that restricted the throughput. So the OP's situation is still a mystery!

Jolltax
Hooked

This is now resolved, thank you everyone for your help