cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Assistant: why does my mobile phone number keep getting rejected?

LastChance
Dabbler

Help Assistant: why does my mobile phone number keep getting rejected?

I am trying to send a support ticket as I have a query. Each time I try it keeps regurgitating the same error: Please enter a valid mobile phone number.
I have tried with the following:
Conventional UK format: 07xxxxxxxxx (11 digits in all)
International: +447xxxxxxxx
International: 00447xxxxxxxxxxx
And even unchecking the tick box: Receive updates via text message to: 07xxxxxxxxxx
It still prevents me from sending the support ticket, even if I don't request that it updates me via the mobile. I am a recent convert (from TalkTalk) and am getting increasingly frustrated at not being able to ask a question (which, regarding a potential switch to Fibre. hasn't been answered properly on this forum so far).
Can anyone please advise or assist?
16 REPLIES 16
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Help Assistant: why does my mobile phone number keep getting rejected?

Hmm,
I'm not sure why you're getting that particular error.
Are you seeing no options for a chat?
Also feel free to PM or reply with your query.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
LastChance
Dabbler

Thanks Adam. Just to clarify the error message is given in a dialogue box shown in Google Chrome - see attached.
The question I was trying to post was:
Hi,
I have recently switched my broadband (only) to Plusnet from TalkTalk, due to the inefficiency of their mail system. I am very pleased with the service from Plusnet - so far - but have hit a problem.
I wish to move to a Fibre connection (17Mb) but have been told I need to pay yet another activation fee of £25. As I only switched three weeks ago (but have been trying to find an answer for over a week!) it seems very unfair to impose yet another activation when I could have gone straight to Fibre in the first place.
I would switch my phone as well, but Plusnet is unable to match TalkTalk's unlimited phone calls to International destinations of up to to one hour at any time, and I estimate I make up to 20 hours worth of calls per month to the continent. I am also worried about losing my memorable phone number, which TalkTalk cannot guarantee.
So is it possible, to a new and unknowledgeable customer, to offer me the switch to Fibre without any activation fee?
With thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest that you get rid of your email address in the image
LastChance
Dabbler

Yes, I noticed it just before your post!
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Looking at the smudged out image it looks like your number starts 074 ...but aren't these premium rate codes ??????
LastChance
Dabbler

No, it's a Three mobile phone number - Pay as you Go  Lips_are_sealed
http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/07449-numbers
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Yeah, it looks as though 074* isn't a recognised number format, that's something I can look at, but not something I can fix straight away.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1167705 - Looking here, it appears that 074 numbers were allocated in 2009. I'll follow this up.
Apologies for the inconvenience this causes you in the meantime.
LastChance
Dabbler

OK, thanks Chris. I am surprised that no-one else has picked this up before, though.
In the meantime, is there anyone who can help me with switching to Fibre without having to pay another activation fee?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'd recommend calling the customer options team on 0800 013 2632 to discuss this.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
LastChance
Dabbler

I had already tried that, of course, but feel that waiting "due to high call demand" is not clever when I just want a simple yes or no. Hence the need to raise a support ticket, but unfortunately not with my mobile number, despite being issued 6 years ago.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Typically, with a broadband only account, the answer would be a no. However, I cannot vouch for what our Customer Options team can offer as a retention, which is why it may be your best bet.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
LastChance
Dabbler

And so I phone and wait 13 minutes only to be told the line is "crackly" and the operator can't hear me, no matter how clearly I speak. Well, I was using Skype, so why the "crackly" line?!  - My microphone is fine and I did test it. Last night I tried only to be told (when the line obviously wasn't crackling) to redial for Customer Options, who had packed up and left at 8:00pm.
I can't send a support ticket because my mobile number format isn't recognised - but why is my number required, and why should the omission of that prevent a support ticket being sent? An email reply will do me fine. So could a Plusnet operator please just send message #3 on this thread to Customer Options on my behalf?
LastChance
Dabbler

And now it's a 30 minute wait.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If it just needs a valid number that won't be used, couldn't you just enter any other mobile number (friend, relative)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.