cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I got this right .... Broardband charges.

brokengreen
Dabbler

Have I got this right .... Broardband charges.

For the past 5 years or so I've been paying £14.99 for 10 gigs plus 5 gigs after midnight, I've now decided it's not enough so I looked to upgrade to 60 gigs per month at £11.49.
Unless my maths fail me that is a grand total of £25.48 per month at a very slow (by modern standards)(I live very close to a main exchange) 8 mb ps download.
Now is it me or would you pay Plusnet £25.48 for 60 gigs  or  pay o2 £17.50 for unlimited broadband?
Sorry Plusnet unless you can come up with a better deal o2 here I come.

7 REPLIES 7
itsme
Grafter

Re: Have I got this right .... Broardband charges.

How do arrive at £25.98?
For Plusnet Extra, which is 60GB per month it's either £11.49 if you live in a low cost area or £17.99 if you don't.
brokengreen
Dabbler

Hello,Itsme.
Are you saying that the extra 60 gigs is not a "extra" but a seperate package, and if that is the case, how do I know which tariff I'm in?.
But even if I'm in the low cost area it still doesn't compete with Tesco who offered me unlimited broadband (100gigs fair usage) with the first 12 months at £14. after 12 then £18 per month.
No setup fee free router and club points.
And why is it that when I'm near my download limit I get a email advising me if I go over It's £1 per gig on top of my £14.99 instead of offering me this 60 gig service. Business sense on plusnets side perhaps but downright rookery on my side.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

And why is it that when I'm near my download limit I get a email advising me if I go over It's £1 per gig on top of my £14.99 instead of offering me this 60 gig service. Business sense on plusnets side perhaps but downright rookery on my side.

PlusNet don't force users to move from older products if they are still happy with them. They do however inform everyone ( by email ) when new products are announced unless you have opted out of marketing emails. I think you need to look at the current Extra product, and possibly the extra usage option which takes the usage to 120GB for an additional £5/month. If fibre is available at your exchange then you might also want to look at the Fibre Extra product which gives 250GB/month for £19.99 ( here http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/?source=mainNav ) and upto 80Mb speeds. Also don't forget that usage between midnight and 8am doesn't count against your monthly limits on the current products.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brokengreen
Dabbler

Hello Misterw.
So for the past 5 years or so Plusnet have been happily charging me £14.99 per month knowing a better service was available to me at a less tariff and didn't disclose this information on to me, this would be the kind of "service" I would expect from a "spiv"outfit and not from a company which fronts itself as a laid back easy going family friendly company.
As I live in a low cost area 2, am I to asume that my total  direct debit to Plusnet for 60gigs would be £11.49 per month
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

knowing a better service was available to me at a less tariff

But it MIGHT not be a better tariff for everyone. The traffic management and the 'free' hours can be different on some of the legacy tariffs, that's why PlusNet don't automatically move people to the new tariffs. You can compare products here http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
I believe you are correct that the Extra product costs £11.49 in a Market 2 area.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brokengreen
Dabbler

Hello misterw.
Thank you for your reply.
I'm not sure I can agree with you that it may not be a better tariff for everyone, in these days of austerity every penny counts and with the bonus of 50 additional gigs for £3.50 less money it would be a strange cove who would not consider that to be a better option than paying more for less.
As a foot note I have now changed to the 60 gig deal and look forward to enjoying the extra gigs and enjoying a pint in my local with the £3.50 saved..
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

in these days of austerity every penny counts

I quite agree. Smiley
Some of the legacy tariffs had a 'free' period of midnight till 4pm and perhaps for people on those tariffs the shorter free period could be much less beneficial.
Anyway I hope you find the new product suitable for your needs and enjoy the pint. Smiley