cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has a new cancellation charge sneaked in on my account ?

picbits
Rising Star

Has a new cancellation charge sneaked in on my account ?

Any clues as to where this £74.90 upon cancellation charge has come from ? I've not extended my contract or signed up for any extra services.
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Has a new cancellation charge sneaked in on my account ?

It appears that you changed fibre product in February and that is an automatic 18 month contract
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I imagine it's a "deferred" charge that the wonderful (not fit for purpose) PN accounting system has calculated would apply if you cancelled now.
I'm not a betting man, but if I was I'd take long odds in it being wildly incorrect.  Grin (Or maybe not as explained by OJ....  Lips_are_sealed )
picbits
Rising Star

Hmmm - the only thing that happened around that date was an offer of one of the new 2704n routers to have a play with - no mention of extending my contract. I received the 2704n, powered it up, had a quick play then boxed it back up and asked PN if they wanted it back as it was a load of rubbish. I never heard back .......
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Yep it is your fibre contract (mine has only 2 months to run or is it 10 months)
23/08/2014 - Unlimited Fibre £46.00(upon cancellation)
Anyway if I move I will be phoning with in the next 30 days. (not that I am moving then just telling them I am going to)
picbits
Rising Star

That's what I thought.
I took out an 18 month contract back in Jan 2013 - that is the only contract I've ever agreed to. If I was to extend my Fibre Broadband contract by another 12 / 18 months, I'd had called up and negotiated a better price.
picbits
Rising Star

Hmm - interesting .......
After jumping through hoops trying to get access to my old tickets I found this one :

Service Notification
1:09am, Tuesday 17 Feb 2015
Dear Dominic S,
This is confirmation that your Talk Evenings & Weekends contracted service has now activated.
Contract Length: 18 Months.

Now if you refer to my original post about this on the 17/1/2015 here :
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135917.msg1191316.html#msg1191316
I took off the Anytime feature to save a fiver a month but it appears to have signed me up for another contract without my knowledge ?
Could a member of Staff please clarify ? I've wasted a couple of hours this morning trying to work out what is going on and not happy.
picbits
Rising Star

My issue appears very similar to that discussed here :
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136843.0.html/
picbits
Rising Star

Any staff available to comment ?
picbits
Rising Star

So - 6 days later, no input from Staff so I decided to try the chat - looks like it is time to part company with Plusnet Sad
info: Thank you for talking to us today - we'll be with you shortly.
All of our teams are currently helping other customers. There are 1 customers waiting before you. Thanks for your patience.
info: You are now chatting with G*.
G*: Good evening, I'm G*. How can I help you today?
Dominic S: Hi G*
G*: How can I help?
Dominic S: On my account it is showing a £74.90 on cancellation. I should have no contractual charges on my account.
G*: One moment, I'll just have a look into that for you
Dominic S: Thanks - more info on this thread (which appears to have been ignored by Staff) http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141153.msg1246104.html#msg1246104
G*: Can you please confirm the 2nd and 7th characters of your password?
Dominic S:
G*: I dont have * for the 7th
Dominic S: *
G*: Thanks :)
G*: These cancellation fees are only applied if you leave within the contract
Dominic S: I am not under contract
G*: But you've received the email about price changes so you can leave within 30days and have no fees
Dominic S: I have not renewed or extended my contract - I removed the anytime extra which appears to have incorrectly put me on a new contract with the phone line
G*: One moment, I'll just have a look into that for you
G*: I can see that you arranged this online, it was a re-newal of the contract and an additional call plan
Dominic S: I unticked the box for the anytime extra which I was paying about £4.50 a month for - this should not have extended my contract
Dominic S: and at no point was it mentioned that this would extend or tie me into another contract.
Dominic S: If you look at the link I have included above to the forum, there has been another customer with the same issue.
G*: I can see that Dominic
G*: But it was started a new contract
Dominic S: Ok - I'll use the 30 day clause with the new rises and find another ISP - thanks for your help.
G*: No problem
G*: It’s been great chatting to you today. I really appreciate your time and would love to hear any feedback that you might have.
g1000
Grafter

Despicable from Plusnet (yet again)
contact@ofcom.org.uk
Plusnet Talk Service Terms - Changes you can make
19. If you want to change to another Plusnet call plan you may do so at any time. If you have a minimum remaining period this will be carried forward to your new plan and your termination charges will be updated to reflect your new plan. Details of product termination charges can be found in the Price guide.
20. If you want to add a new service to your account you may do so at any time. If you do this you will need to agree to a new minimum term and pay any applicable set-up charge. You will also be subject to your new services product termination charges details of which can be found in the Price guide.
picbits
Rising Star

To confirm the situation, I was on LRS from the outset. I then paid the extra £5 a month (or whatever it was) for the Anytime calls addon.
When my last LRS ran out, the line rental reverted to their standard monthly rolling plan (no contract) and I also removed the anytime addon.
At no point was I informed that I was entering into a new contract and cancellation charges will apply.
I had three options to resolve this :
1. Ask Plusnet nicely to try and sort it (no reply here and no solution offered by the CSR other than "use the 30 day contract to get out"). If I was going to enter in to a new contract, I'd have called up and negotiated a decent price. I've deliberately not done this as I've been happy with the service and don't mind paying for it.
2. Pass this issue on to my Wife whose job is Company Compliance and Contract Law - this could be great fun but she has enough on her plate.
3. Use the 30 day get out clause due to the new price rises - I wasn't considering moving from PN until I saw this cancellation charge but I think it is time to go.

I'm going to now use option 3 and go quietly - I've already requested to be removed from the "Bright Spark" helper list. If PN can't help me then I'm certainly not helping back. It looks like another Yorkshire based company may be "doing me proud" in the not too distant future.
picbits
Rising Star

Ok - wife has just read this and gone ape. She has quoted at least three issues with the way PN are applying an unfair and unenforceable contract.  She wants to go through the legal route and prove a point.
This could get seriously messy .....
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I'm really saddened at the way PN appear to be treating their long standing customers.
I wasn't going to jump ship but after looking at alternatives today I am seriously considering giving up 6mths line rental and moving.
I noticed the bright spark tag had gone - I'm sorry about that.
g1000
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
Ok - wife has just read this and gone ape. She has quoted at least three issues with the way PN are applying an unfair and unenforceable contract.  She wants to go through the legal route and prove a point.
This could get seriously messy .....

But they are not applying the contract, that's the point. Paragraph 19 applies as you changed the call plan, and it is clear that a new minimum term does not start. Paragraph 20 does not apply since you did not add a new service.