Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halifax Changes to shopping online

darklight1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Halifax Changes to shopping online

Hey all

Just had a letter through informing about some new online checks that are coming in soon, the issue is i pay my internet provider which is plusnet with my master card will i need to use a passcode to which halifax will send to my mobile or landline to authorise a payment each month, at the moment it automatic pays out each month? this would be a pain if so.

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Halifax Changes to shopping online

Hey. Sorry for the delayed reply. I’ve had a read around about this and it does appear so.

I think the two sure ways of finding out would be to call Halifax or see what happens the month after the new process is brought out. 

I’ll be happy to see if my colleagues in our billing team know the answer next week though and I’ll let you know what I find out.

If you do decide to call Halifax feel free to let us know what they say as I’d be interested.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@darklight1 Sorry I forgot to update you earlier today after I discussed this with a colleague from our billing team. Unfortunately we think it’ll play out just as it sounds: we’ll request payment, you’ll receive a notification from your bank asking you to authorise the payment, if you authorise then all should be good however if you don’t then the payment would likely fail and you’ll need to pay it manually either online or over the phone. 

We may be wrong though, this might still be more of a question you’d ask your bank for a definitive answer. Let me know if you find out. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I thought that for Continuous Payment Authority (CPA), the requirement for any additional authorisation under the new PSD2 directive, applied to the initial setting up only and not subsequent payments. It MIGHT be the case that any existing arrangement  may need to be reauthorised once for the next payment.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

darklight1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hey, been into the bank today, sort out the incoming predicament, all they was saying was the same information that was sent out to me, but i did update my phone number info which was wrong on there records so good job i did that, all they said they are in phase 2 of this procedure they ain't sure when it's coming, i couldn't get a proper date, least all my numbers are upto date, so if the proverbial [-Censored-] hits the fan i'm ready as i can be.

If anyone else as anymore info on this please join in and tell.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

When I spoke to my bank (not Halifax) a few weeks ago about this (mainly to check that they had the correct contact number, which they did), I asked how the new procedure would operate as the current Secure Code / Verify by Visa systems seem to work randomly in that some purchases require you to go through those checks whilst others do not and it does not seem to be related purely to the value of the purchase (although I do suspect that not all sellers are signed up to those systems).

The bank said that whilst they were not fully appraised of the new system, they did not expected it to apply every time you tried to buy something on line (or in shops - John Lewis are already applying it for some in store purchases). They expected it would depend on value and other parameters (such as whether or not the purchase was "out of character", etc.).

My bank also will also give you the option of verifying by using a one time passcode sent to your mobile or landline, or by using your mobile banking app (if you have that facility).

On the basis of that conversation, I would doubt that the system will apply to every transaction under a Continuous Payment Authority.

Only once the system is fully up and running will we know!

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@jgb wrote:

...I would doubt that the system will apply to every transaction under a Continuous Payment Authority.

I'm sure you're right. After all, a credit card CPA is the equivalent of a direct debit or standing order. Once authorised, it continues until cancelled.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)