cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gone over but no emai!

mathewlisett
Grafter

Gone over but no emai!

ok last time i gained an email saying we were close to the limit  and when it went to its limit the speed dropped. as we know.
how ever this time, no email warnign us and now its 15.08gb so its gone past and no reduction in speed.
i hope to god were not getting charged per gb for this as i havent made any changes from the last time.

edit: less than 3 hours later and its jumped300mb whilst juust surfing the net and checking emails.
is there som,ething wrong as i ca nit see that being right
7 REPLIES 7
mathewlisett
Grafter

Re: Gone over but no emai!

come on people, i should i be doing a ticket? i mean i have been away from the system doing nothign....so just checked and its gone up another 200mb within 3 hrs !!!
so whilst weve had no notification that eve gone near and now over, the speed hasnt reduced and now the actually usage is growing very fast.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
From the tickets on your account it seems that one was sent at around 7am yesterday and another one today at about quarter to 9, have those been received?
Also 300MB in around 3 hours is not a great deal of usage (bear in mind those flash adverts that sometimes pop up can be fairly bandwidth intensive, as can sites with embedded videos etc) - though if you believe the usage is incorrect it'd be well worth making sure the wireless (if you have one) is secured ideally with WPA.
Hope that helps,
mathewlisett
Grafter

ive only sent one ticket toay of which i got a reply which didnt answer the uestion.
the wifi on the laptop is off.
and its more concerning that i only gained the limit warning when i was a few hundred over already.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The wireless network needs to be secured at the router as that's doing the transmitting - if the wireless networking on the router is turned off though it's nothing to worry about.
With regard to the usage emails, there have been several sent since the 1st of June and as you've altered the data transfer watch amount on your account it seems that they were received?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: mathewlisett
the wifi on the laptop is off.

That's not the point. If you haven't set up the wireless securely on the router someone outside your house could be using your bandwidth.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mathewlisett
Grafter

my apologise , i answered the question before thoroughly thinking how to answer.
yes its secured from the router.
and i never knew that flash ads and pages with videos on could be so costly in bandwidth
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you install NetWorx on all your PCs you can measure your own usage and check if it matches Plusnet's figures.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)