cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting charged line rental twice!

dozydave
Dabbler

Getting charged line rental twice!

I joined Plusnet and paid for annual line rental (non-refundable unlike TalkTalk's annual rental). They took the payment a fortnight BEFORE connecting my service. Now, just a month later, they intend charging a further £17.99 monthly line rental.

I thought the e-mail about this was a mistake but my account clearly shows this charge. My attempts to get in touch with them have been unsuccessful. They do not have a customer service e-mail address!! Yet they send out e-mails to mine!! The online chat feature of the web-site simply does not work. It always gives a 'service unavailable' error.

Plusnet's customer service stinks. I've already wasted about 3 hours messing about as a result of this so have now cancelled my direct debit.

15 REPLIES 15
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: Getting charged line rental twice!

Hi dozydave,

Thank you for getting in contact with us regarding this issue. I have looked into this for you and corrected the issue so this won't happen again. As per the bill which has been raised today I can't pull that back because it is going through but once this has cleared through our systems we will refund the £17.99 back to you. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

dozydave
Dabbler

So let me get this clear.

You still intend taking rental (which I have already paid) from my account? Well that will not happen! I have cancelled my direct debit and it will not be re-instated until such time as this matter is resolved to my satisfaction.

You claim to be 'sorry for ANY inconvenience'. Really? I have wasted several hours today attempting to get this matter sorted out and consider my time extremely valuable. I would have thought that a decent apology would include an offer to compensate me for that time but none has been forthcoming.

As I said, disgraceful customer service from Plusnet!!

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Duplicate post removed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

dozydave wrote: The online chat feature of the web-site simply does not work. It always gives a 'service unavailable' error.

One of the great features of Plusnet's wonderful new chat system is that it won't play ball with adblockers, Ghostery etc, so you may have to whitelist it.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
dozydave
Dabbler

I've tried it with three different browsers, sometimes it refuses to work claiming the browser's in incognito mode (even if it is not) and other times I simply get 'service unavailable' without any reason.

I'll try making sure ad blocker is not enabled and see if that is the main cause. Thanks for your help.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Is it really worth getting worked up about such  small amount, that they have already said will be repaid?

Alas once a DD has started, its can't be stopped, but it will be refunded. Stopping your DD will only cause more hassle, it simply is not worth it!

dozydave
Dabbler

Actually it's an eighth of my total monthly income so, yes it is important.

As for it's being repaid, when and how. My previous ISP played the identical trick and, after 8 weeks, did not put it back into my bank!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if that is the case then I understand your frustration, but from my own experience of refunds Plusnet have always come good. The annoying thing for you is you'll just have to budget until the money comes back into your account; which could be as little as 10 days after they've taken it.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If extra costs such as bank charges are incurred as a result of going overdrawn due to Plusnet taking double payments they have in the past fully compensated people if they provide proof such as bank statements.

Perhaps a Plusnet rep. could confirm that this is still the policy.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dozydave
Dabbler

Thanks everyone for your concern. I do still have savings so won't need to go overdrawn as a result of this.

Nor is it the money which is the frustrating part of this situation. I have been with most of the major ISPs and every one has made errors of an elementary nature (always in the company's favour I might add). These are large companies with supposedly sophisticated I.T. systems (if they aren't they should be) yet they make basic blunders which the customer has to chase.

Customers are invariably given the run-around with web sites that take one round in circles, phone lines that get through to machines and the refusal to accept incoming e-mails. Disgraceful service which we only tolerate because it's hard to find anything better.

So, if I am 'worked-up' I feel I have plenty of reason 

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dozydave,

I explained quite clearly in my reply that you will be refunded for the payment that is coming out which I had already processed for you rather than waiting for the payment to come through and then do this. You are now causing problems for your self with your account where there was no issue before as I have stated in the ticket reply https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=133118235 regarding the refunds.

I highly advise you to set the direct debit back up otherwise the payment which I have already explained can not be stopped from being processed will throw your account into outstanding payment and restrict your services.

dozydave
Dabbler

Thanks, that's clear as mud.

As I made clear, my direct debit will be re-instated once this issue is resolved to my satisfaction.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@BenB wrote:

I highly advise you to set the direct debit back up otherwise the payment which I have already explained can not be stopped from being processed will throw your account into outstanding payment and restrict your services.

As per my previous message this will only delay the situation and the refund which is covering this payment from reaching you, so this will only make this worst and you not satisfied when the services are restricted.

dozydave
Dabbler

So let me get this clear.

Because I am not prepared to grant you access to my bank account so that you can charge me TWICE for my line rental you are now threatening to 'restrict' my service?

I rather think your behaviour verges on criminality.