Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic message

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Generic message

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Plusnet refuse to produce any evidence of this alleged breach of copyright.

They did produce evidence, you chose to dispute it.
They have made no detailed investigation.

Why is there need for a detailed investigation? Plusnet will not keep records of what files you are/are not sharing. But if they started to look at your usage, it would probably show you are very active in sharing/downloading P2P files (this is based on your previous posts on here).
They don't name the source of the complainant.

Anonymity is maintained between the parties concerned. Do you want Plusnet to disclose your name/address to the copyright holder?
It should be fairly clear that the copyright holder is 20th Century Fox from the item you were sharing.
They don't even say under what law (although I can guess) they have made this accusation.

There is no need to mention a law or tort here. It is merely a complaint that has been raised by the copyright holder to Plusnet.
If or when a copyright holder decides to take further action (they would need a court order for Plusnet to release your name/address) and issue you with a pre-action letter, this will have to be in accordance with Annex A of the CPR Pre-Action Conduct Rules.
No appeals procedure appears to exist.

Why does there need to be an appeal's procedure? Plusnet have only passed on information that has been provided to them.
Maybe you can call 20th Century Fox (020 74377766) and dispute their information.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think you have the right under the Data Protection Act for Plusnet to give you a copy of all the data about you that they are storing. See the Privacy Policy and Data Retention Policy.
It might be interesting to know how long you had had the 31.185.249.74 IP address for at the time of the alleged copyright infringement. If you had a static IP address or had the same IP address for a few days at least, then there would be little chance of a mix-up between you and the previous user of the IP address.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The fact remains that I didn't download this piece of rubbish intended for teenagers.
I believe the DEA requires that the ISP keeps a log of ip packets?
I am now running a script every 10 minutes to write my public address to a text file.
I was informed of this alleged offence more than a month after it occurred.
Edit:-
Apparently I used my ip address from
You first posted using IP address 31.185.249.74 on the 14/02/2014, 13:14 and stopped posting from it on the 23/02/2014, 22:45
There are no earlier posting reports from that IP address on the Forums

Thanks @OldJim
So I did an alleged illegal act within 3 hours of getting my ip address!
BTW This is the kind of information Plusnet wouldn't/couldn't provide.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AndyH
Grafter

1) The report says it was shared from your connection - it does not say it was downloaded at that specific time/date.
2) It's TV-MA rated, so it's a TV programmed aimed at adults.
3) Clearly you are not going to be informed realtime that you are sharing copyright material from your connection.
4) DEA?
5) Are you saying you, or anyone else that has access to you connection, do not use P2P file sharing software and download/share torrents?
VileReynard
Hero

Of course I use Bit-torrent.
I always download Linux releases via bit-torrent - its the most efficient way to upload/download large volumes.
Occasionally other legal downloads too.

AndyH
Grafter

And ThePirateBay?
Anonymous
Not applicable

... and if I remembered correctly - TOR ?    Huh
AndyH
Grafter

Since the start of this thread I've felt impelled to provide at least 100GBytes of content over the TOR system.  Cheesy Cheesy
So much for unlimited broadband.
Some of this will have travelled (indirectly) over the BT system to the PirateBay.  Grin
VileReynard
Hero

True - but only as an intermediate relay.
I don't normally use the Pirate Bay as links to legal torrents also exist via other web sites - even Google. Grin