cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Usage

mikefa

Free Usage

Hi,
I wonder if anybody else has noticed that the "Free Usage" doesn't seem to be recorded correctly in the "view usage" page?  I happened to notice this as I downloaded a 70MB podcast on Friday morning and I know it finished before 8AM.  My usage shows 74.69MB "paid for" and 0KB Free.  Problem with the system?
Mike 
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Free Usage

Hi mikefa,
I've not heard anything regarding this, there haven't been any other complaints recently (though no doubt this thread will tell if there are others).
The system's usually pretty failproof (touch wood), have you seen this on other occasions and have other examples?
mikefa

Hi Matt,
No other examples.  I just happened to notice that example as I'd downloaded a podcast and I knew the size and I knew the time.  It finished just as the 8am pips were sounding on the radio.  I'll keep an eye on it.  I'm not normally using my connection in the free period.
Regards,
Mike
gwb99

Yes, I have been getting this for several weeks, now.  I use the free period in the morning before 8am nearly every day and more often than not it just shows as zero. Is this usage going on to my chargeable usage instead ?  Gerald
zubel
Community Veteran

I believe 'delta reports' are received from BT every 15 minutes, which show the usage on the line in the last 15 minutes.
The first 'delta report' after the free period starts, and the first 'delta report' after the free period ends are discarded, as there is no way of knowing how much was downloaded within and outside the free period.
So, if you're doing downloading between ~7.45-8.00am* or ~00.00-00.15*, this won't be counted at all
* the reports are received every ~15 minutes, but not necessarily on the .15 .30 .45 .00 minutes, so YMMV
B.
gwb99

Oh, I see.  It could be that I am using it within the last 15 mins before 8am.  I will watch the times and get back if anything else is happening.
Thanks
Gerald
abey9
Dabbler

I've had this too over the last month - even today it says I downloaded 700MB during off peak hours and 350MB during paid-for hours. When I download any large files I use a download manager with an in-built scheduler that is set to only download between midnight and 8am, so I know almost all of my downloads occur during off-peak free hours. I don't see how I could have used up 350 MB from 8am this morning - all I've been doing is some light web browsing.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
@Barry, nearly! Delta reports give is the IP profile information. The usage reporting for VMBU comes from our CBC accounting server or Ellacoya.
@gwb99, it's likely to be as Barry said, the additional usage will have been ignored as we cannot identify which period it should apply to.
@abey9, is it identified as web traffic, or something else?