cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For anyone waiting for a Direct Debit refund

Steven_Thompson
Dabbler

For anyone waiting for a Direct Debit refund

I thought I'd post this in the hope it helps anyone waiting for Plusnet to refund an unexpected bill.

I found it was quicker to ask my bank to get the money back from Plusnet under the Direct Debit guarantee, rather than waiting for Plusnet to do the honours.  After the phone call the money was back in my current account within 24 hours.  The bank also cancelled the debit at the same time.

6 REPLIES 6
John7591
Dabbler

Re: For anyone waiting for a Direct Debit refund

Hi Steven, congrats on getting the money you were owed back so quickly! Smiley

I am in the same position awaiting someone from Plusnet to give my problem some attention as I feel sure that they'll just repeat the same mistake on next months bill.

May I ask how long you waited before approaching your bank for a refund and was this a last resort having failed to get Plusnet to look at the issue?

Regards, John

Steven_Thompson
Dabbler

Hi John.  Not long in my case. There was only a couple of days between my raising the issue on this forum and me contacting the bank.  So it wasn't really a last resort, but I didn't want things to drag out any longer than necessary.

It was actually the Plusnet rep who responded to my forum post who advised me to go via the bank!

It might be worth you approaching your bank to ask what they advise in your case.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

You can go to the bank straight away in the case of a DD overcharge, without even contacting PN.

The DD guarantee states that, "If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society."  The important words here are full and immediate.

Steven_Thompson
Dabbler

Can't be any clearer than that, can it?  That would save so much of the frustration being expressed in this forum.

John7591
Dabbler

Hi Steven. Sorted out my problem now. Bank were understanding and it was a straightforward request to them with no proof needed of the over billing, however, with the caveat that, if I was in fact in error then monies would be returned to Plusnet - I have no problem with that whatsoever, I just didn't want this running on unchecked.

Plusnet have since (just after my call to the bank in fact) also admitted the error so this should all be sorted now and next months charge has been corrected on my account to reflect my new contract. 

The Direct Debit Guarantee refund should be made a sticky; it would cut down on the large number of posts on the forum and release any tensions and frustrations of members caught up with the over charged problem (members willing to 'jump ship' etc.).

A clear and unequivocal statement would help many arriving here with this problem. Thankfully, Plusnet staff on this forum are in fact very good but are probably very over worked, cutting out one bottle neck should alleviate much of the frustrations.

ATB, John

Steven_Thompson
Dabbler

I agree entirely John. It really shouldn't have to be this way, but hopefully someone at Plusnet sees this thread and acts on it accordingly.

Cheers