Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Price Contract Not Fixed Price

FIXED
happysnapper
Grafter

Fixed Price Contract Not Fixed Price

After months of faffing about with the provision of a stable line I was offered and accepted a fixed price contract.

The price of that contract has, after the billing fiasco, jumped for no reason.

Anoush was the lead contact, our correspondence was lengthy but the matter was eventually resolved.

Now this.

Line Rental -£4.90
Line Rental £4.90
Line Rental £18.99
Voicemail £0.00
Line Only £0.00
Unlimited Fibre -£15.99
Unlimited Fibre £11.86
Unlimited Fibre Extra £5.42
Unlimited Fibre Extra £20.99

Total bill for £41.27 instead of £34.98

Can Plusnet run a service and billing without error for more than a month?

16 REPLIES 16
Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Re: Fixed Price Contract Not Fixed Price

Hi @happysnapper,

Sorry to hear about this, It appears there is a pro rata charge that has been added to this months bill.

I have explained further here

Kind regards,

happysnapper
Grafter

your bill is higher than your monthly subscription price of £34.98, due to a pro rata charge for Unlimited Fibre extra - £5.42 that has been added to this month invoice. This is because of the recent product change that completed during your previous billing period. I hope this helps bring clarity to the charges on this months bill, but if you do have any further questions please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Translation: your monthly fixed price 2 year contract subscription price of £34.98 has been unfixed for no given reason other than "because a pro rata charge for Unlimited Fibre extra - £5.42 that has been added" which leaves Plusnet in breach of contract.

Your turn.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Here's how I read it:  You changed to a more expensive product with eight days left of the last billing period.  Line rental stayed the same, hence the £4.90 (£18.99 x 8/31) being added and deducted.  Your old Unlimited Fibre cost £15.99/month so that was deducted and reapplied for the 23 days before the change (£15.99 x 23/31 = £11.86).  Then a charge has been added for your Unlimited Fibre Extra for the eight days you had that during the last billing period (£20.99 x 8/31 = £5.42).  The line rental for the new month (£18.99) and £20.99 for Unlimited Fibre Extra for the new month are also listed, and come to £39.98.

What I can't understand is the figure of £34.98, unless you were promised a £5/month discount (Unlimited Fibre Extra for the price of Unlimited Fibre) which PN have forgotten to apply.  Or have I missed something?

happysnapper
Grafter

"Or have I missed something?"

I have no idea what's going on, either. Nor does Plusnet apparently.

I was given a 2 year fixed price contract after being let out of the previous contract due to non performance by Plusnet.

After many weeks of faffing about Plusnet finally delivered a stable line speed so I agreed to the new 2 year fixed price contract.

Now, here I am, outside the cooling off period and Plusnet have increased the price of the fixed price for 2 years contract ...

"because a pro rata charge for Unlimited Fibre extra - £5.42 that has been added"

No explanation as to why or what for.

Jonpe
Hero

The £5.42 is the price for Unlimited Fibre Extra for 8 days (£20.99 x 8/31).  They have deducted what you paid for Unlimited Fibre for those days so the additional charge is only £1.29.  This does not explain why you are being charged the full price for Unlimited Fibre Extra when you clearly believe you should only be charged £15.99 which is the price for Unlimited Fibre.

I'm sure a member of staff with access to your account will be able to clarify this further tomorrow.

happysnapper
Grafter

Their email to me: Quote:

"Unlimited Fibre Extra broadband service: £8.99 per month for 24 months then £20.99 per month
Line rental: £18.99 per month Total £27.98 per month on a new 24 month contract "

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

This sounds like a non standard event has happened on the account (such as a change in billing date) and the pro-rata amount is simply ensuring the minimum contract length matches that agreed on signup.
Jonpe
Hero

@happysnapper, now we are getting somewhere; you've got a £12/month discount for the entire 24-month contract.

The discount will probably show up separately on your bill so the pro-rata amount of £5.42 will after deducting the discount (£12 x 8/31 = £3.10) be £2.32.  However, you've already paid for those days under your previous contract so you are due a refund of £4.13 (£15.99 - £11.86 as per your first post).  That means that your first full month's bill should be £18.99 Line Rental + £20.99 Unlimited Fibre Extra - £12.00 discount - £1.81 overpayment for the last 8 days of last month = £26.17.

I still don't understand where you get the £34.98 from.

happysnapper
Grafter

"I still don't understand where you get the £34.98 from."

Fairly certain that was from the last bill but I'm unable to check my billing history because Plusnet's legendary billing service is off line. Again.

"Sorry, we are not able to complete this request at the moment, please try again later."

This is the best bit though, it made oi larf:

"If you’re wondering why your bill looks a little different, it’s because we’ve given them a facelift! "

Well, Plusnet, it looks a little different because £41.27 and £34.98 look nothing like the Total £27.98 per month on a new 24 month contract.

This will take at least a week to resolve, if not two and at least 5 different people will be involved, only one, the final big boss, will understand contract law and agree that £27.98 per month means £27.98 per month.

It's a game I could do without having to play.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi @happysnapper

Sorry to see your bill isn't right.

I think I've sorted this for you now. As we're discussing account information, I'm not comfortable in providing the details here, but I've updated the open ticket on your account which I hope helps.

I've also moved said ticket into my teams workflow to check back on your next bill date to try to ensure your next invoice is correct.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
happysnapper
Grafter

Thanks! Seems to be corrected now.

Until next time! Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems, fingers crossed next month is OK.

let us know if you have any further issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jonpe
Hero

@happysnapper wrote:

"I still don't understand where you get the £34.98 from."

Fairly certain that was from the last bill but I'm unable to check my billing history because Plusnet's legendary billing service is off line.

Yes, if you were on Unlimited Fibre + monthly line rental that would have been your monthly payment as indicated in your first post of this thread.

happysnapper
Grafter

"that would have been your monthly payment"

That was never my agreed monthly payment, that was the first improperly generated bill I could see on the system before it went off line.

The second bill was for more

It was only when I went through my emails that I found the original monthly cost.

It's now been corrected back to Unlimited Fibre Extra broadband service £27.98 per month, as agreed.

Fingers crossed!