Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to ADSL - lose number?

brightonbelle
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Fibre to ADSL - lose number?

My mum is currently on fibre with Plusnet. She doesn't really need fibre, basic ADSL would do her fine.

She found alternative ADSL providers far cheaper than Plusne. But when she called Plusnet to tell them she was leaving (Plusnet told her she had to do this first so she could leave within her minimum contract period without charge because of the price changes) the Plusnet sales person told her that if she moved from Plusnet fibre to standard broadband with another provider she would lose her phone number.

Because of that she agreed to stay with Plusnet on a new 18 month contract with a discount. This is still £7 a month more than she would have paid with another ADSL provider, a longer minimum contract period (the alternative was 12 months) and presumably a steeper price hike when the 18 months is up.

I've never heard of this issue about losing your number when going from fibre back to ADSL and can't find anything abut it by googling - was this a straight up lie by the Plusnet rep?

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Fibre to ADSL - lose number?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

If they're transferring their landline as well, whcih I'm assuming is the case, there is a very slim chance this could happen.
Very unlikely and shouldn't happen though.

Maybe a PN staffer could listen to the call and clarify.
Customer / Moderator
brightonbelle
Grafter

Thank you @dvorak - yes, she wanted to transfer line as well.

I'll talk to my mum to see if she wants to take this further - if so should I post back here or just get her to follow the normal Plusnet complaints process?

dvorak

I'd wait for one of the PN staffers to respond here first, but entirely up to you Smiley
Customer / Moderator
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @brightonbelle and apologies for the delayed response.

I can confirm that downgrading from fibre to standard broadband will have no effect on the phone line or number. If she's transferring the line then as long as we leave the number active, another provider should be able to port it out to them.

Could you PM me your mum's username so I can review this further for you please?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
brightonbelle
Grafter

Thank you @Gandalf - I've sent you a PM.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers, I'll message you back shortly

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet