Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre product change confusion

SaneDave
Dabbler

Fibre product change confusion

Hi,
My local exchange has finally got the upgrade, and I have a nice new FTTC box humming away about 50m away from my home. I'm keen to get on fibre soon, but unsure which product to go for. I'm currently on non-fibre Extra and find the 60Gb is plenty, so was thinking the Fibre Value was probably all I need. I'm aware that I might start streaming more, and more likely in HD, so perhaps 40Gb might end up not being enough? I don't want to be on Fibre value, and stuck with the lower limit for 18 months! Any way, I asked the question in the members centre about changing between fibre products, and got this response:
Thank you for contacting us.
I have checked into this for you and unfortunately you cannot swop between the two Fibre packages.
I have included a breakdown of the usage over the last three months, I would recommend that you go for the Extra Fibre as you nearly reached 40GB between 25 May - 25 Jun, as you can see below :
Billing Period Allowance Used Overnight Usage Total usage
25 Jun - 25 Jul           17.06GB           4.64GB             21.7GB
25 May - 25 Jun           28.87GB           9.91GB             38.77GB
25 Apr - 25 May           19.8GB           3.57GB             23.37GB

You can also view your usage history for the last three months here :
https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php
You can arrange the upgrade to Fibre by using the following link which will also confirm the costs :
https://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html?memberheader=upgrade
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search if we can be of any further assistance.
Kind regards,
Apart from questionable recommendation of the extra package (its ~30GB *peak* usage one month, 40Gb includes over night), it indicated I WOULD be stuck for 18 months. I was getting close to just ordering Extra to be safe, but happened to look on the forums here beforehand and came across this:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106780.0.html
So it appears that people can change from Fibre Value to Fibre Extra within the 18 months? Or am i reading it wrong?
Also,  if this is the case, can it be done the other way? (out of interest really, I doubt after going 'up' i would then want to go back 'down')
Can anyone shed some light upon this?
Confused Undecided
Dave
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre product change confusion

You're free to change between Value Fibre and Extra Fibre during the 18 months and, yes, you can change back.  Unlike some other ISPs Plusnet allow product changes without penalty (in general) but you do need to stay on Plusnet Fibre for the contract period or there is an additional charge.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can change to Extra at any time during the 18 months contract on Value, but I believe the 18 months would reset at the time you to upgrade to Extra (e.g. if you upgrade 6 months in you'd end up with a total of 24 months contracted).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SaneDave
Dabbler

That confirms what I was hoping  Smiley Not impressed that Plusnet's response was wrong (assuming you guys are right!), but coming from a support background I know
that these things happen, and I'm going to assume it was an honest mistake.
Even if it resets the 18 months, I'm likely to do the switch early on so not really an issue.
Thanks for the replies!
Dave
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This particular question hasn't been asked before and it does seem odd that this is the first time switching between products opens up a new 18 month contract.
This leaves open the other question.
If you move from the new Fibre Extra to the new Fibre Value  - for example if you can't get the new speeds and don't need the usage allowance - what happens or can't you move.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The 80/20 Fibre FAQ covers that (and earlier that upgrading from Value Fibre to Extra Fibre is allowed subject to starting a new contract).
[quote=http://community.plus.net/8020-fibre-faq/]
If I switch to the new 76Mbps Extra Fibre product and have problems then can I move back?
Whilst it’s possible to move you back to the 38Mbps service, we’re confident that we’ll be able to resolve any problems that you encounter on the new Extra Fibre product. You can downgrade to Value Fibre at any time (the change will be scheduled for your next billing date). However if you choose to go back to our Extra product, you will be subject to a new 18 month contract.
David
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Good find spraxyt, I stand corrected as this differs from previous (and is specific to the new 80/20 product).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.