cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install today - fault on the line. Now what?

ctb0503
Dabbler

Fibre install today - fault on the line. Now what?

Hi,
I placed an order with Plusnet on the 30/4 for home phone and fibre broadband. Everything appeared to be going smoothly and my fibre install was due to be done today, so I have taken a day's leave from work so that I could be in to enable it to be completed.
However, the BT engineer has stated that there are a couple of faults on the line, and that they would need to put an order in for a new length of cable to be installed between the cabinet and the property.
Throughout my order there has been no mention of any faults, or any delays, yet now I'm told the install won't be able to go ahead until these faults are fixed, which, as you can appreciate, is incredibly frustrating.
My question is, what happens now? Openreach have said that someone will be coming to install this cable, but I have no idea when this will be, and I presume afterwards I will have to take another day off work when they attempt a second install. How long will I be expected to wait before this is sorted and will I be kept up to date with who is visiting and when?
Also, I note that on my account my broadband service has been set to active, which clearly isn't the case, and I would sincerely hope I'm not expected to pay for the time between now and when my broadband actually becomes active.
33 REPLIES 33
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre install today - fault on the line. Now what?

Hi there,
Sorry to hear of the delay with your install, I've passed the ticket you raised to our provisioning team to chase this up and update you.
The billing side of things have activated today through automation, obviously we don't expect you to pay for any services that you don't have so we'll make sure that all this is squared up.
ctb0503
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply Chris - do you have an idea of the kind of timescales involved when something like this happens? Obviously we don't want to be sitting here in a month's time waiting for it all still be sorted.
Other than that, I'll wait to see what the provisioning team come back with and see where we go from there.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's something our provisioning team will be able to confirm, it will depend on the reasons for the delay. A colleague will be updating you shortly.
ctb0503
Dabbler

Thanks Chris.
Got a phone call this morning, so am now just waiting for a second appointment date to be confirmed.  It was said that the exception on the line is being progressed, so fingers (tightly) crossed that by the next appointment it'll all be good to go.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Keep us posted, I've just checked and can see we've been chasing this today for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ctb0503
Dabbler

Hi,
No further forward with this one - other than a message yesterday to say that PN were still awaiting a response from their suppliers (OpenReach, I presume?) regarding the order. That's despite OR saying they'd have a tentative appointment date within 24hrs. So not really sure what's happening with this at the minute?
Would someone be able to have a look into this for me, and see if they can shed any light? I would guess it has something to do with the exception that was placed on my order, but, as far as I can see, OR have neither been out to fix this, nor given a date as to when they will be.
Thanks again.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our provisioning team are chasing this and they'll update you ASAP. I can see that we are able to expedite your order, we just need to be in a position to be able to place the order which I'm hoping with the next update we'll be able to.
ctb0503
Dabbler

Just wanted to post an update to this (still) ongoing issue -
After my last post, the provisioning team got in touch (17/5) and informed me that a dig team from OR had been assigned the job of fixing the initial fault on my line They would then need to book in *another* job for some exposed wires to be fixed. And *then* someone could come out to actually install my fibre service.
The dig team were booked and OR stated that the work would be completed on the 21/5. The date rolled around and I arrived home yesterday to find everything (as far as I could see) exactly as it had been on the morning. Obviously this was very irritating, as I'd hoped there might at least have been a semblance of some progress being made, but no such luck.
Then, this morning (22/5) I received an e-mail stating my original ticket for this issue had been updated, with a note that yet another fault had been found on the line when the dig team were undertaking their job (this time on the distribution side of their network - whatever *that* means!) so PN would have to check back with them on Friday. And, as things like this usually go, and with it being a bank holiday on Monday, it's likely to be at least Tuesday before I hear anything, at which point it'll be nearly 3 weeks since their original visit when the whole mess started.
I realise that many of these issues are somewhat out of PN's hands (and, in their defence, they've been pretty good at keeping in touch), as it's OR who keep sending people out and then sending them back again, having fixed nothing in the process, but as I can neither contact OR, nor post on their forums, I have no choice but to express my frustration here.
Considering the line must be all of 100m long (I can see the green cabinet from my house) I'm not sure how there can be so much wrong with it, and for it to take so long to fix.
Whether there's any significant progress when PN check back with them on Friday, remains to be seen, but I'm certainly not holding my breath. It all just feels like an exercise in disappointment at the minute Sad
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry to hear of the further delay, our provisioning team are chasing this daly for the progress and I can see we've been advised to follow this up on Friday, we'll keep you updated.
ctb0503
Dabbler

Thanks. If it all possible, can you double check with OR to confirm this will be looked at / an engineer will be sent to look at this tomorrow (24/5)?
Thus far no work appears to have been done (certainly no digging of the lawn to re-lay the cable as is needed) and we really don't want to be disappointed yet again, as we're really beginning to struggle with having neither any Internet, or phone, access for this length of time - particularly when we have to try and work from home  Undecided
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This is currently being chased by our provisioning team, they'll update you shortly.
ctb0503
Dabbler

Thanks Chris - In that case I'll wait to hear from them with an update.
ctb0503
Dabbler

Well, we received an update on the situation this morning and, once again, I feel incredibly disappointed. OR are now stating that the work is *still* pending and it's likely to be yet another week before any forward progress is made. OR have stated that the repair work is still 'pending' due to the digging work not having been completed. However, we were told last week, that the digging could not commence because repairs need to be carried out. It feels like we're being sent around and around in circles and I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel at all. It feels like we're going to keep being put off and off until eventually we have no choice but to look into alternative providers.
By 31/5 (the next time OR will provide an update) it will have been over a month since the order was initially placed, and a full 3 weeks after the original install date. This is time we've had to spend with neither a phone line, nor an internet connection, both of which we have been paying for and, in the case of the line rental, have paid up front for. This is becoming *incredibly* frustrating, and I am in the process of drafting these complaints into a formal e-mail to plusnet which, if no positive results are forthcoming, will also be copied to Ofcom.
We feel incredibly let down by the service we have received and are currently struggling to find a reason to carry on with the whole process. We don't particularly want to leave PlusNet, but, at this point, we can't see anything resolving itself any time soon. Having to wait another 7 days for any kind of progress is simply not acceptable to us, bearing in mind that, after that, there is another OR appointment which needs to be booked in to fix some exposed wiring, and only *then* can another engineer appointment be booked to actually install our fibre connection, we feel like we would still be sat here in another month's time.
It's getting to the point where we're at the end of our tether with the whole thing.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I really do understand that you must feel frustrated with this.
There is work that needs to be carried out to be able to get your services active. I'll make sure that we do chase this up early in the week to see what progress has been made. I'll also make sure you get the earliest appointment once this is complete available to us.