Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre and Phone "Alignment Dates"

neilgreig
Dabbler

Fibre and Phone "Alignment Dates"

Hi all, just joined.
Having read through many previous posts, it was touch and go whether to come to Plusnet from BT due to the many complaints, but I also realise that for every complaint on here, there must be many customers that have been very happy with their move. I will keep my fingers crossed.
I have a few questions to which I have not been able to find answers, I wonder if anyone could advise please.
1) I have received my notification by text that my fibre broadband will become active in two weeks time, at what point does my 18month contract start? Does it start from the activation date.
2) The first months line rental and Fibre BB has been paid at the point of Plusnet application, at what point does the second payment become due?
3)I have read that the phone should be moved from BT to Plusnet a couple of weeks after the BB goes live, which will mean that I will have paid 1 months line rental without receiving any phone service. How does that effect my second payment.
4) How are both the phone and broadband rental payments aligned for both monthly amounts  and dates, taking into account that the services are not started on the same day.
Finally,
5) Will it be a router and a modem that I receive from you and is it a simple plug and play, taking into account that I already have BT fibre installed along with (I presume) a BT router and a BT modem.
Sorry for all the questions but I am not too technically minded along with being an old blokie.  Roll_eyes
Thanks for any advice.
Neil 
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre and Phone "Alignment Dates"

Hi Neil and welcome to the Plusnet Community Forums.
to answer your questions as best I can:
1)  Your 18 month contract should start on the day your broadband becomes active.
2) The second payment becomes due a month after the broadband is active
3) You should be charged a part month for the phone line rental in your first full month's bill, this aligns the phone payments to the broadband and you don't pay for what you haven't received.
4) see 3)
5) you should receive a Plusnet router, you will continue to use the BT (Openreach) modem - you could also continue to use the BT router just by entering your Plusnet user/password details but the Plusnet supplied router should be set up for Automatic setup (plug and play).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
neilgreig
Dabbler

Thank you w23, for your kind welcome and your very fast response. You have answered all my questions. If my phone change over and BB speed goes as well as your fast reply, I will be very happy.
Is there any benefit other than the auto set up of the router, is one better than the other or are they much the same? My BT hub is the "Home Hub 3"
Thanks
Neil  
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@neilgreig
Welcome aboard, I'd honestly try both and see which works best for yourself.
@w23 
Cheers!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
neilgreig
Dabbler

Thank you Adam, will do.
Everything is going smooth so far with Plusnet.  Due for BB connection within 5 days Roll_eyes and had a despatch notice for the router.
Keeping everything crossed.
Neil
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good stuff,
Just drop us a reply back here if there's any issues and I'll make sure you get the help you need.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
neilgreig
Dabbler

TY Adam
Neil
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Neilgreg, I use a BT Home Hub 3 Type A on my PlusNet Broadband service and it works just fine for me. I do this because I have several WiFi connected devices such as Printers and Raspberry Pi computers which would need to be reconfigured for use with the PlusNet supplied Technicolour device.
I did however take the Technicolour Router because PlusNet will only assist with problems if you are using their Router. So far, I haven't needed to use it.
neilgreig
Dabbler

Thanks for your advice, Wheel_nut.
I think I will just use the Plusnet supplied one, for an easy life.
It is good to know that my BT router could be used as a back-up.
Neil