cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake cash back fraud

Kab600

Fake cash back fraud

I see many forum posts about not receiving cash back emails. I am in this position. I was an existing customer who renewed via Plusnet's website, with promise of £50 cash back. I renewed. I then saw that getting the cash back involved possibly intentionally convoluted steps - waiting for an email which would arrive within 28 working days (thus getting beyond the cooling off period under consumer laws..), clicking a link in this email etc.

The email didn't arrive. I have been waiting for it so I kept an eye on spam etc. No email. I reported this and was told it was sent on 25th January. I checked, no email.

I have discussed this via their twitter feed and each person I deal with just asserts that they personally have checked it, and all is in order. If I am unhappy I need to speak to a 3rd party partner of theirs. 

I am a lawyer and I am aware that they cannot palm me off to a third party. At no stage did I contract with a third party. It is Plusnet's offer which I accepted, and Plusnet who are making it impossible for me to get the cash back.

Has anyone taken any steps from the position I am in which has made them adhere to their contractual responsibilities?

6 REPLIES 6
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Fake cash back fraud

A lawyer, with a title like the above, somehow I'm not convinced.

Kab600

Luckily I'm not interested in convincing you, but for your information I lecture in Commercial Law.

And fraud is obtaining money by deception, which is exactly what it would be if they don't send emails allowing you to claim the advertised cash back.

Now move along.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Kab600, thanks for getting in touch.

The claim email is sent past the cooling off period, as your account has to remain active with us for a period of time to be eligible for this.

I can see that you have been in touch on Twitter and can confirm the advice provided by my colleagues is correct. We have provided you with what is required to chase this matter and would ask that you follow these steps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Kab600

Those steps involve me contacting a "3rd party" (in the words used in the twitter discussion). Could you explain why the company I have contracted with (ie yourselves) isn't prepared to deal with it? 

I don't have a contract with the people you are fobbing me off to. I have a contract with you. 

Ultimately your company promised cash back, and isn't allowing me to get it. This is something I am legally entitled to insist on YOU dealing with.

In addition, the instructions I've been given on twitter expect me to phone a number - which inevitably will involve several hours of my time wasted. Again, you do not get to dictate how we communicate over your breach of contract.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to me.

Just to clarify, we are not preventing you from claiming the reward; we have chased it up with the relevant team and the information has been sent to you with their findings.

I am sorry you are having issues locating the email; the contact number provided is there for you to call to follow up on this further and we are unable to call on your behalf as they would not discuss this with ourselves as the third party. Should you have any further issues after contacting them then please do feel free to get back to us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Forgive me, Mr Lawyer, for being such an ignoramus but shouldn't your title read "ALLEGED fake cash back fraud"?